Best Motherboard for Air Cooled 2 way SLI

RexFury117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Hey everyone, I am looking for some info about some of the best motherboards for an air cooled 2 way gtx 980 sli setup. I am looking to upgrade my system with an i7 4970k, so 1150 socket MBs. My current MB makes it so that the cards sit about 1/4" apart. I am looking for a MB that has a larger gap between the 1st and 2nd PCI-E slots. I have a large psu that sits I the bottom corner of the case so using the 3rd PCI-E slot is not really an option. I have looked at the Asus Z97-A, Asus Maximus VII Hero, Gigabyte G-1 Sniper, and MSI Z97-Gaming 7. I can't really tell how large the PCI-E gaps are. Thanks

RexFury117

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015

I have a full tower Cooler Master HAF 932 case and an older Asus P6x58D-Premium 1366 socket MB. Based on looking at pictures of my MB compared to newer 1150 socket MBs like the ones I mentioned, it looks like most current MB's spacing is different from my old one. They look like they are spaced farther apart, in terms of the 1st and 2nd PCI-E slots, on newer MBs. I guess I will be ok with any of the newer MBs. I am leaning towards the Asus Maximus VII Hero at the moment. Anyone have info regarding that MB? Thanks