My computer goes into a black screen and all fans suddenly become extremely loud.

Novok

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
It's pretty late at night and I'm here; in safe mode clear of this terrible fate that has haunted me for the past week.

Last week, my PC randomly goes into a black screen, I have used this PC for more than 1.5 years and this has never happened before. Nothing happened apart from the PC going into a black screen (The monitor is still on) and the sound being cut off 2 seconds after the black screen appears (Note: the fans didn't suddenly become extremely loud and fast). To fix this you have to restart the PC.

Fast forward yesterday, I played a game with my friends and during the game I get the same problem that happened last week. Again, the PC has a black screen and all sound is cut after 2 seconds. The fans here didn't go full speed and extremely loud but was the same as last week.

Today, whilst I was in a ranked/competitive match the problem appeared twice during the 30 minute game. It was the exact same thing as yesterday and the week before but it appeared twice in one day. Later on today, I got two black screens again but instead the fans suddenly were extremely fast and loud.

I tried solving this by optimizing my system with various defragments and driver installation however after I thought I was clear. I get another black screen and full speed fans. I'm going to try clean my PC tomorrow but I have no idea how to remove dust. If you can, can you please tell me how to remove dust since it's clogged up everywhere and the vacuum cannot remove the dust clogged up everywhere.

I also tried updating this one driver and it was the realtek audio driver and after I finished installing and restarting my PC, it would mute my sound and I can't hear my system unless I used system restore. Another thing is that, what is causing this issue with the black screen o-o

EDIT: I came from work and when I booted up my PC; the screen displayed "NO SIGNAL" and the PC was still running and fans were at normal speed. I vacuumed out the PC, reseated my PSU and my GPU. Cleaned out any remaining dust with a blow dryer and upgraded my CPU heatsink to Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo Tower Cooler which my brother helped me clear out the thermal paste and apply the CPU heatsink. I have used the PC for 20 minutes now and the problem seems like it eradicated but I haven't tried playing any games yet and will update soon.

Also, you asked for it. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor
MOBO: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: XFX HD 7970 DD Edition 3GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

TL;DR: I get black screen and fans go max speed for no reason. Audio driver mutes sound after restart and how do I remove dust clogged in PC that is irremovable with a vacuum.

InvalidError

Titan
Check your temperatures with hardware monitoring software. If temperatures look fine, a common likely suspect for the computer randomly freezing would be the power supply: do your fans go to maximum speed for a few seconds every time you boot your PC? If so, your PC may have rebooted but is failing to POST so the fans are not getting reset their normal speed.

I use a 1/2" wide brisel paint brush to clean out the dust out of heatsinks & off motherboards.

InvalidError, some namebrand computers' fans go loud at startup before they quite down so that is not a valid question but can still be a psu issue anyway.

InvalidError

Titan

I think what I asked is very much valid: if your motherboard or GPU defaults to maximum fan speed at reset until POST setups fan profiles and something, such as bad power or hardware that locked up in such a way that not even reset can bring it back, is preventing them from coming out of reset, then the fans get stuck at max speed.

Random stability issues getting worse over time is a typical power supply failure pattern. Less than two years is a fairly typical life expectancy for crappy power supplies. It would help if OP specified exactly what his PC is, including the exact PSU model.

cbullnp

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
I had this issue as well, troubleshooted, and was able to fully resolve my issue. I outlined my findings below.

General Initial System (Black Screen Fans Loud):
Motherboard: Asus X99A II
CPU: I7-5930k
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16gigs
HDD: Samsung 950 pro
Power Supply: Corsair CS850
GFX Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

Working System:
Motherboard: Asus X99A II
CPU: I7-5930k
HDD: Samsung 950 pro
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16gigs
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850
GFX Card: Asus GTX 1080 Strix 8 Gb Gaming

Short Answer: This is a Graphics Card issue.
The card is not handling the voltage current for whatever reason (heat?) which causes the inevitable crash. I noticed that the Heat was unpredictable with my card. At first it found its way all the way past 93 degrees Celsius prior to crashing, and gradually it was start to crash at 71 degrees Celsius. Possibly it cooked itself over time, however, I am not the engineer of the card so will stop this one short.

In my experience and understanding, a hard crash will always be the result of hardware not sending the instructions correctly. For example, if a card gets too hot, the high voltages and low voltages are likely to be affected in some way and therefore your system turns into the "leaf blower". Software level issues will almost all the time result in a soft crash. Even malicious software would be difficult or impossible to write that would be able to tell your hardware to basically commit suicide. In my understanding, a lot of the confusion with regards to drivers causing blue screens and hard crashes is inherited from the Windows 95 days, however, those also were hardware related becomes the Memory Management had memory leaks. As more and more memory leaked, the drivers that used the memory had to end up taking the blame.

CPU and Memory: I tested the CPU and memory with Prime95 and it had 0 issues over 12 hours with maximum heat reaching about 45 degrees Celsius. (Excluded)

HDD: Samsung Magician tested and verified in good health. Issues were isolated to High End Gaming. If HDD defective the issue would popup at anytime. (Excluded)

BIOS Settings: I did note that when the XMP or any OC settings is enabled and then disabled, that the timings were not reset properly and the core CPU was actually reduced. To get it back to the optimal settings after enabling XMP or overclocking involved flashing the BIOS to the latest version. Issue occurred regardless. (Excluded)

Power Supply: Replaced and the issue repeated. (Excluded)

GFX Card: After installing the Asus GTX 1080 Strix I have never had the issue again. I noted that Temps always hold steady at a max of about 68 degrees Celsius no matter the load. Voltages typically don't move around and go from 250 - 750 - to 1850 or so at full load. (Identified)