Microsoft’s Continuum For Phones Portends New Computing Paradigm

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I thought Ubuntu had tried something similar with their phone when/if it ever comes to fruition, but it will be interesting to see if MS can pull it off before Ubuntu does.

Didenko

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015

Well, technologically Ubuntu did not try, they did. If they would HAVE an established phone ecosystem, this functionality is just there.

What Ubuntu did try - and so far did not go far - is to carve out a phone ecosystem to begin with.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I hope to see "backward compatible" adaptors for displays/tvs that don't "get" it, with a wall wart & hdmi & hopefully otg hub. As it is my htc m7 still drains battery real quick with mhl & power connected.

Been waiting for this ever since I heard of mhl & otg.

The idea of running any standard windows program from my phone is also greatly appealing.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Should have been done many years ago.

but still I gonna say again, windows phone need to be x86 and compatible to existing desktop app to be able to success with continuum together. Without these, Microsoft still gonna fight an uphill battle.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like a CC off of the Ubuntu phone. Nice. But someone else's idea.
The idea has been presented way before Canonical said it. By me and everyone who has seen a Communicator or one of the old Windows tablets.

Much like with touch screen phones, it doesn't matter who says it first, or even who does it first. It's the one who does it best who gets the glory.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
In his closing remark Joe Belfiore explicitly stated that Continuum for Windows Phone requires new hardware. We were left with the impression that said hardware will be the next item on the agenda, but instead we got HoloLens, so this remained just a cryptic remark.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Indeed. I'm hoping to hear more about that new hardware on Day 2.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Sounds interesting.

If anyone can ah heck this up, it's MS.

Dude, it's been 15 years since MS got smacked down by Clinton in 2000 and the tech bubble burst. They still act the dog that got kicked, broke its back, but survives wimpering trying to please its owner.

Enter the 21st century where Apple and Google are the two-faced monopolies

I got really excited about this yesterday, but there do seem to be a few limitations which make it a little less exciting:
1) What was shown was a glorified power point presentation of how they expect it to work, their first real attempt at doing this 'on hardware' will be at a demo (today? tomorrow?). The reason for this is that it requires 'new hardware' to work. This means that all current devices will not get this functionality, which is a little sad.
2) We do not know what hardware this will require. The assumption is that it requries HDMI, which is somehting that current devices do not have. We have video out via USB... but my guess is that ths is not good enough performance to have a good quality monitor connection. Many WP devices also have WiDi capabilities, but perhaps they think that the latency issues of WiDi make is less useful for productivity work (though it works just fine for media). This means that new devices will either have a propriatary port that can do charging and HDMI... or we will see a USB-c connector on the new flagships
BTW: we will not see a new flagship device at Build. What we will see is dedicated demo hardware. It may have the specs of the next gen device... but likely in a big bulkey, ugly housing.
3) No x86 apps. All windows phones to this point have run on SnapDragon processors, and as good as those are becoming there isn't a SD chip on earth that can properly emulate x86 in real time. This means only the continuum sensitive ARM apps will work. I am sure this will expand with time, but right now this is pretty much just the new Office and a handfull of 'universal apps'... mostly made by Microsoft.
In the future we could see an x86 Atom based phone, and the opening up of x86 apps for phone. But again, they are going to be limited to continuum mode only, or will only be Universal apps that have scaleable UIs. Plus ultra-mobile x86 is very limited hardware and will not run many traditional x86 applications well in the first place, so I am not sure that moving to x86 on phone is exactly going to bring the expierence people hope for.
4) This is still an incomplete feature. The true future is the demo that Ubuntu Phone showed off a while back (has it been 3 years already?) where the phone could not only attach to alternate input and output hardware, but could also take over processing hardware as well. With that demo you could attach the device to a PC and you would have PC hardware do the heavy lifting for big games or productivity content while the phone itself was able to charge. This win10 technology does not go quite that far... but it needs to have that ability in the near future. And it needs to do it through the network (so that 3rd party manufacturers can still sell PCs, and so MS can sell Azure based services to consumers), and it needs to work in a multi-user enviornment where 3-4 mobile devices can send rendering tasks off to the same home server concurrently.

Anywho, outside of that, this looks fantastic, and I thought that some of this feature set was coming with WP8.1 and I was sad that it was not ready yet. Very glad to see it happen, and very glad that the laptop I have will very likely be my last laptop.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well if Intel could put a computer on a stick, certainly MS could enable the phone to work like a PC.
Now I'm just curious how we could over clock the phone processors.

alextheblue

Distinguished
3) No x86 apps. All windows phones to this point have run on SnapDragon processors, and as good as those are becoming there isn't a SD chip on earth that can properly emulate x86 in real time. This means only the continuum sensitive ARM apps will work. I am sure this will expand with time, but right now this is pretty much just the new Office and a handfull of 'universal apps'... mostly made by Microsoft.

More and more Universal apps are hitting the Store already, and they've just made it easier than ever to convert Win32 .NET software as well as iOS and Android projects into Universal Apps. The Store is going to explode with them. They'll run on a desktop in windows (not just full screen), on a tablet, phone, etc.

marsclic

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
As usual with Microsoft, nothing really new here. Motorola had this tech running with its Android phone more than 2 years ago. I had their "lapdock" which would make the phone double as a laptop. When connected to the lapdock, the phone would enter a desktop mode, and you could browse the web with firefox, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.