DDR3 Ballistix 2x 4GB 1600Mhz only running at 1333Mhz

Reece OBrien

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi there, I'm new to this forum.

I have had a look around and I am aware there are people with the same problem with me, I saw a lot of answers being that to get my RAM to run at 1600Mhz I need to activate an XMB profile in the BIOS settings, but I feel out of my depth with this. My PC build was built for me by a friend out of spare parts he had and so I'm not entirely sure what MOBO I have. I bought the Ballistix RAM the other day and installed it myself but more than anything it's a slight OCD on my part when it comes to wanting the RAM to run as advertised.

I know the MOBO is a Gigabyte so the BIOS is a bit basic, not like the UEFI interface that ASUS gives you as I used to have an ASUS MOBO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry for the lack of the finer details.

Edit:

CPU - Intel Core i5 750
MOBO - Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
RAM - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006YG94Y2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Reece OBrien

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
It may not be hard but I have no idea how to do it lol

I did have a look at the Memory menu within the BIOS but not sure what to do. there's no speed option just voltage and I don't want to mess with that without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks for your reply.

davidfersan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
To enter to your BIOS (may or may not work) when you power on your computer press DEL or SUPR till you get there but DON'T ENTER TO YOUR BIOS WITHOUTH KNOWING WHAT TO DO.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz is just power consumption (correct me if I'm worng)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Turn the computer on and just start tapping the DEL key (not real fast) it should boot into the BIOS, go to the advanced area and look for DRAM setting, enable XMP and that's it - and yes, there is more to it then power consumption, 1600 is a faster data rate that runs at a higher freq than 1333

davidfersan

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Thanks for correcting me. How much of a difference there is? I mean, not just numbers but something noticeable to the user