Issues with random disconnecting/reconnecting displays

LeoLion89

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015
Hi there!

I've had this problem for about a month and for the life of me I cannot get it to go away. I have two Asus VX238H 23" monitors into an MSI R9 290x and an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard with a Intel 4790K CPU running Windows 8.1.

Randomly, I will hear the hardware disconnect sound (like when you unplug a USB) and my screens will momentarily go black. I'll hear the sound for hardware plugging in, and one, the other or both screens come back up. It is pretty random. Sometimes when one screen comes back up it will stay in that state for a few minutes then disconnect and reconnect again and everything will go back to normal.

This is seemingly random. I don't think I have fried anything!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

if you were to physically disconnect 1 of those monitors, would it make that hardware disconnect sound? does that motherboard also have onboard video to see if still has a problem as it might be your videocard that is causing the problem?

LeoLion89

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015

Good question. I will have to try that tonight. If it doesn't what would that point to?

LeoLion89

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2015
Alright, so when I do unplug a monitor from my computer intentionally, the hardware chimes do occur. IS this because the GPU ios debating what is connected and what is primary? Or is this an indication that something is wrong with the GPU?