Deciding on an GPU Upgrade Path (from single 290x)

Cptncarrot

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hello all!

I've just gained access to a 3840*2160 monitor, and as such I am keen to make some upgrades in order to keep dem frames chugging along smoothly.

My current specs should be shown below, and I think the main thing to upgrade is the GPU. I've done a fair bit of research, finding lots of conflicting info and such, so wanted to ask the question directly. So as I see it, I have several options:

■ Buy a second 290x to CrossFire, and stick another waterblock on it, adding it to my cooling loop.■ Sell current 290x + waterblock, buy a GTX 980 or similar (with or without waterblock)■Sell current 290x and buy a 295x2 (then either use built in cooler or replace with waterblock)■ Wait till AMD Fiji release, likely this summer. This would allow more options, but probably means I'd get less for my 290x if I sold it.

Budget can be considered not to be a limiting factor, as I am happy to save for a few months to get the right solution, but ideally I'd be looking at within the £300-£350 range out of my pocket, not counting the sale of the 290x.

I'm fully expecting to get a variety of opinions, but just wanted to hear what people thought.

Thanks everyone!

disturbed force

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I run cf 290x's with a 3840x2160 monitor and I have been more then happy with performance. At this point in time a 980 is a total waste of money considering the 290x is close to a 980 in performance at 4k, there is no point in selling a 290x to get a 295x2, so if you want a good experience at 4k before the 300 series hits the shelves another 290x is your best bet, and with the custom loop you can likely oc the cf 290x's nicely to match or exceed sli 980's depending on the game.

Cptncarrot

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Thanks disturbed force, that's really helpful, cos benchmarks are one thing but an actual person's experience of using the setup I feel is much more useful.
Are you generally able to run games at close to full settings while keeping FPS at 60ish?

Cheers!

disturbed force

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I haven't tried gta v but the most recent game I have is dying light and at this point maxed out I get a average of almost 80fps with a few dips in the low 50's but smooth as butter. What games do you play?

Cptncarrot

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Awesome, sounds good. At the moment I'm mostly on GTA V, but in general playing a pretty wide variety of games. If it's holding up that well in Dying Light though, I'm confident it'll do me just fine.
Only one other question - do you ever have trouble with problems caused by CrossFire that wouldn't be expected with a single card?

disturbed force

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Ya you are going to run into times that any multigpu setup will have issues, but the only time I have had issues was with new releases but it usually just takes a little time for it to be smoothed out.

Cptncarrot

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Yeah, I guess the tech is becoming more commonly used, so the support will only get better. Anyway thanks for the tips, really appreciate it! As it stands, sounds like going 2nd 290x is the way forward then, just need to put together a bit of dolla!