Trying to update bios via usb drive

tmuaddib

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I am currently trying to make a bootable usb to update my bios, but I am a bit confused by some online instructions. I have rufus, I have a usb thumb drive, I have downloaded my bios and renamed it to less than 8 characters. What else do I need to put on the usb? some sort of bios flasher? the motherboard is an asus m4a785td-v evo.

WaltzWorker

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
According to the manual there are multiple ways to update the BIOS. To do so with a USB drive you can do it one of two ways. First is to put the updated BIOS onto a flash drive - and usually that is the only file on that drive! You also want to remove any other USB drives because 'they' can confuse you when you select which drive to use... IE: If you only have that USB Drive with the BIOS connected to the system - then it should be the only one! Next thing you need to do is to boot the system up... 1.) Get into the BIOS setup and get to the EZFlash2 utility. OR 2.) ALT+F2 as the system boots and it should automatically get you to the EZFlash2 utility. Then follow the prompts - telling it where the BIOS is. Another way is to do it via Windows!!! Where you can backup your current BIOS too via the ASUS Update Utility!