Headset mic randomly stopped working.

juniorninety

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I have a Astro A40 headset with a mixamp pro, I've had both of these for about 2 years with no problems. Yesterday my mic randomly stopped working with any programs on my PC, I can still hear myself through my headset when I talk on the mic, and my headset mic works fine on my XBox 360 and PS4.

Under playback the 2 options I usually use are 4-Astro MixAmp Pro and Realtek High Definition Audio. When I test the sound on MixAmp Pro it says "Error! Failed to play test tone." when I test the sound on Realtek HD Audio it plays the sound. Under recording when I try to use Speech Recognition on my 4-Astro MixAmp Pro it says "The wizard could not start. Make sure your audio hardware is working properly and check your audio configuration in the audio devices and sound themes control panel."

When I try to use Speech Recognition with Realtek HD Audio it lets me use it, but I can't hear anything. I've made sure that everything is plugged in correctly and securely, I made sure all my drivers are up to date and no cables are damaged. I've been looking around to see other threads who are having similar issues but haven't found a solution. Some people say some driver I recently installed might be causing the issue, I don't remember installing anything recently, anyone have any suggestions what could be causing my issue? It's pretty frustrating and I have ran out of ideas.

juniorninety

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Okay I figured out what was causing the issue. I have a interface attatched to my computer that I use to record my guitar and even though it was disabled I guess it was causing issues. Which is weird because I've always had this interface connected to my PC, I randomly disconnected the interface and my Astro mic started working again. Okay well mods if you could close this, that would be great.