LG monitor not working anymore after switching from desktop to laptop and back

Blamefulrednas

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Hello all,

I don't know if this belongs here, or in the graphic cards section. But here goes (tl;dr at the bottom).
This is the situation:
I have had my desktop pc for 4-5 years now, with a Radeon HD6500 graphical card (which has 2 DVI entrances), and a LG monitor (22-inch flat screen, type: LG w2243 1920x1080) for 5-6 years. I always had some troubles getting my LG monitor "detected" by desktop pc after re-installing windows, but in the end I always managed to get him to work. The monitor only has a VGA exit, so the monitor is connected to the graphical card using a VGA cable and a VGA to DVI convertor block.

I also have a laptop, and yesterday I needed another monitor on my laptop so I unpluggend the monitor from my desktop (desktop was not running) and plugged it into the VGA entrance of the laptop. I think the resolution was fine. After I was done I unplugged the monitor (while the laptop was still running), and plugged it back into the slot I normally used on my desktop. While unplugged, my monitor showed "no signal detected".
When I turned on my desktop it did all the correct startup beeps and appeared to have started up entirly (windows sound). But there was nothing on my monitor, it was in "sleep" mode. So I shut down the pc and plugged the monitor into the other DVI entrance. This did display on the monitor, but the resolution was wrong.
When checking the resolution it showed that a "non-pnp monitor" was attached. So I updated my drivers for my monitors, and for my display adaptor. After that it showed (in the resolution screen) that a monitor was connected through a VGA port, and I could put the resolution to 1920x1200. Doing this resulted in the screen displaying everything in "layers" (don't know how to explain this one, it's like every 3 cm the screen is moved to the right by 5 cm). So I reverted it back to a smaller resolution.. but this isn't really a solution.

I also noticed that the screen somethings "flickers".

I hope it's only the monitor that is broken, but I fear it might be my graphics card.

tl;dr: removed monitor from desktop to laptop, and then put it back in, now I can't get the desktop to detect the monitor anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Blamefulrednas

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
If anyone is wondering what the cause was:

Probably the laptop broke some settings of my monitor. I had to go to the ATI catalyst control center, and manually override the monitor settings so it could go higher. This appears to have fixed the problem.