Water Cooling i5-2500K on MSI P67A-G43 version 2 motherboard questions

pfilias

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hey all,

I recently switched out my cooling from an EVO 212 to a Corsair H90 in pursuit of a quieter machine. I also swapped out the cooling on my MSI R9 280X with a Corsair H110.

The problem I'm facing with my CPU overclocking is that I was once able to overclock the CPU from 3.3 to 4.3 with little to no issues with the EVO 212. With the H90, I'm finding it difficult to go anywhere above 4.0GHz, which was my standard run-speed for a few years. I've following all sorts of guides as to what settings I should have but, honestly, I shouldn't have to change anything to try and get 4.3 or even higher (figured I'd be able to with water cooling the CPU).

I did some experiments with the pump to make sure that it was plugged into a fan header than had 100% power and verified that. I can't imagine it's not seated correctly, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

At the moment, I'm running SpeedFan and have the H90's fan at 35% with idle temps at 34C. Interestingly enough, in BIOS, it reports my CPU temp at around 51C for some reason. Not sure why.

I was able to run Prime95 at 4.0GHz just fine for hours the other day. I was able to on air cooling as well. It's just killing me that something is different now with water cooling. I'm getting symptoms that I'm not sure are software related or heat related while playing GTA V. Game suddenly shuts off the PC (which I've read may be an issue in software), but it is also freezing up my machine, which makes me think it's heat.

I even took out 2 of my 4 DIMMs, which are rated at 1600 MHz and have been running at 1333 MHz for years. I even tried setting their speed to 1600 in BIOS but the i5-2500K only supports 1333.

I know there's a lot here, but not really, just trying to be thorough.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would trust you motherboard readings more than software.
The 2500K usally overclocks like a beast, mine is at 4.8 with just 1.28 Vcore.
Your also wrong on the memory mine is running 2133.
I think your cooler is not mounted right or you messed up the grease.