Strange 3-monitor setup question (one 27" 1440p and two rotated 23" 1080p)

sevansup

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this type of setup before?
One 27 inch 1440p monitor surrounded on each side by rotated (portrait mode) 1080p 23" panels?

The reason I'm considering this is because I figure that rotating the two monitors on the side would make their heights a bit more even with the 27 inch monitor in the middle.

Using Nvidia surround, the resolution would be (assuming that the 1440p monitor would drop to 1080p when using Surround) a wonky 4080 x something else. I'm not really quite sure if this is possible to be honest, given that the side monitors would have 1920 vertical resolution and the middle one would have 1080.

Anyone care to chime in about if what I'm asking is at all viable?

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
It's an interesting idea. In my experience, this can be complicated, the monitors of different makes can support (or not support) particular resolution. As result you might not get exact continuity of image across all 3 monitors. Meaning that part of the image may be higher or lower in 23 inch monitor than its counterpart in the 27 inch. When monitors are different makes or models - this is a frequent problem. (I am using a 3 monitor setup myself, and this is the result I currently have but since I don't use it for gaming, just for working with multiple windows, -it's not really a problem for me). I assume this is for gaming? Do you intend to use Eyefinity?