Load drop during IntelBurn test

Ronin2300

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Hey... First of all I'll say that I'm a noob at overclocking but began playing around with it a few days ago.

My setup is as follows:

MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i7 950 @ 3,07GHz
RAM: 12 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz
Cooling: Corsair H100i

I feel like I have a pretty good overclock now at 4259,16 GHz and are now running tests with IntelBurn to see if it's stable.

I've set it to run 30 passes at the High setting but at #17 it stalls and the CPU loads drop to between 4% - 20% and the core speed is switching back and forth between 2433GHZ and 3042GHz.

Other than that everything is working fine and I don't get any errors or anything to help me figure out what's wrong. The test looks like it's still running but stuck at pass 17.

Anyone with some input on what might be the problem?

setup.jpg

Since you have not listed where your load temperatures are reaching, just from your explanation your temperatures are getting too high and your CPU is throttling to protect itself from your settings.

Processor load performance dropping is usually a sure sign of CPU throttling!

You do not need to run IBT for a 30 pass setup?

Why are you doing that?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2345618/reaching-cpu-overclocking-stability.html

I know you are new to overclocking so you need to investigate further into what you're doing and learn why these things happen, then you'll be able to get much further with your overclocking.

You'll only get as far overclocking as your cooling solution will allow, not taking temperatures into overclocking perspective is a sure sign of inexperience, I'm not trying to offend you, just get you to open your eyes to the understanding necessary to be overclocking in the first place, or suffer the consequences at your own expense.

Ronin2300

Reputable
May 6, 2015
The temps topped at around 84 degrees celcius under full load.

I ran a test with 10 passes without any trouble and then set it for 30 just to make sure and the problem showed up at pass no. 17 so it makes sense to me.

I ran a 10 pass test and got a crash. Then I bumped the voltage and ran a 10 pass test with no errors and decided to set up the 30 pass test just to be sure.

Ronin2300

Reputable
May 6, 2015

Not including the temps was a mere oversight from my side... I am of course keeping an eye on the temps ;-)

Your Tcase for that CPU is 67.9c, that however does not indicate the highest individual core temperature you can run.

But if your CPU is throttling from the temperature it is reaching causing a performance fall off, you're definitely reaching too high of load temperatures for your CPU to run at it's maximum performance level for the overclock.

IBT is extremely temperature maxing so are you reaching these temperatures when running benchmarks or gaming?

You may be OK for regular things as stress testing is on the extreme side of temperatures, and you won't be running stress testing all the time, but if you throttle during gaming, then you'd need either better cooling or drop the overclock.

However there are other factors that affect overall CPU temperatures, like are you overclocking the CPUs memory controller as your CPUs memory controller was spec'd to run DDR3 800mhz or DDR3 1066mhz, you show DDR3 1600mhz, running the memory at 1600mhz is overclocking the CPU memory controller and adding extra heat load to the CPU, which is fine as long as your cooling can handle it!

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_...80601002112AA (BX80601950 - BXC80601950).html

If you desire to overclock the very first thing you should study is your CPUs specifications and limitations and then learn and understand how to manipulate those to your overclocking advantage, then you can reach 24/7 daily overclocks 100% rock solid and stable that others only dream about.

Ronin2300

Reputable
May 6, 2015

I'm only reaching temps like that during burn tests. The Idle temp at low fan speeds is around 45-50 degrees. I just tried a little Battlefield 4 just now and got temps at around 60-65 with around 60-70% load.

The system did freeze up after about 15 mins though.

Ronin2300

Reputable
May 6, 2015

Thanks for det feedback! I worked a little with the cooling today and may have optimized it a bit so now I'm running new tests. Good results so far!