which psu to pick

lyndonbjohnson

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
hi i was just wondering out of these two psu is the best and which i should choose.

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS Power Supply
Part Number: 220-GS-0650-V1

Total Watts: 650 Watts
+12v Rail: 54A Total
100% Modular
Energy Rating: 80 Plus Gold
Fans: 1 x 120mm
ECO Mode: Yes
Warranty: 5 Years

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 Power Supply
Part Number: 120-G1-0650-XR

Total Watts: 650 Watts
+12v Rail: 20A / 20A / 20A / 20A Total
100% Modular
Energy Rating: 80 Plus Gold
Fans: 1 x 135mm
ECO Mode: No
Warranty: 10 Years

kwa-e

Admirable

The G1 is technically a tier 3 unit made by FSP, but unless you're running the full rated 650w continously (Most gaming systems use 400W at full load, so bare this in mind) it should do the job fine.

If the price difference is minimal then I'd say to get the GS as it has better quality capacitors and should last longer.

AnPCtester

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

I find it funny that according to you the GS is of better quality yet the G1 has a longer warranty period. And look through this PSU Tier List to see where each units is relative to each other.

kwa-e

Admirable
You've missed which tier the G1 belongs to by a big margin. The G2 (Which I think you mistaken the G1 for) is made by SuperFlower, Japanese capacitors, great quality.

The GS's are manufactured by Seasonic which uses great high-quality capacitors and makes solid supplies that last, great buy.

The G1 line is made by FSP (Look it up, still a pretty great company, makes rock solid powersupplies that have great value)
Chinese capacitors, Decent quality, but they don't last as long as the SF and Seasonic units.

Don't judge a unit's overall quality by its warranty.

AnPCtester

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015

Yes it seems like I mistook the Tier 1 EVGA "SuperNova G2 / P2 / T2 Super Flower" entry to include the G1 and as I was unable to find an entry for G1 specifically I accept your point of it being a lower quality unit. I also agree that the warranty period is never a solid factor in judging PSU quality but it is a good indicator nevertheless. As each RMA costs the company money, it is plausible that the 10 year warranty would not be given until the product actually meets the criteria.