Screen Size vs Resolution

chenw

Honorable
Hey all,

I am curious, let's say I have a 27" 1440p screen, placed next to a 27" 4k screen, and let's assume that the image on the 1440p has been DSR'ed to 4k, and the smoothing is just enough to eliminate any blurs, would one notice the difference between the two screens?

Assume that both monitors otherwise identical (same brightness, colours etc).

You will notice the difference, but only if you are sitting at the same distance. The 2.5k becomes retina after 2,6 feet (3 feet realistically). The 4k becomes retina after 1,7 feet. This means that you won't benefit from 4k on a 27" display if you sit further away than 1,7 feet (2 feet realistically).

If you sit 2,6 feet away, you won't be able to tell the difference between the 2.5k and 4k monitor. Because these are perfect conditions for a theoretical test like this, it holds true. However, if people can tell the difference, it's not because of the resolution, but it's contrast & colors are not the same. Typically when someone compares two different monitors, they are not the same quality, which is why this topic often turns into a heated debate.

chenw

Honorable
Yeah, hence why I kinda wanted to avoid that by assuming the two panels are otherwise identical barring pixel density.

I had just measured the two positions I would normally sit when I am using my screen, turns out it's 1.25 feet when close and 2 feet when leaning back (usually I only do that when I am playing on the controller, not often, but I do).

However, the chart does seem to suggest that 4k really is limited in effectiveness for me, as I do not like large screens (in fact, sometimes I already find 27" too big, anything bigger than 30" is probably a no go for me).

I guess I will stick with 1440p for now. Thanks