Should I upgrade my CPU/MB before considering one of the upcoming GPU's?

rcj22001

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I have been eagerly waiting for the new lineup of GPU's to come out, and I want to upgrade from my GPU, to one of the new AMD's. My question is, should I first upgrade my CPU and MB before considering a new GPU? I mention both the CPU and MB because I've never done a build altogether, and I'm told that replacing just my CPU can go very wrong (such as breaking my MB). I have the re-installation disk for Windows, so I wouldn't have to buy the OS. This is for gaming in 1080p (which works fine now at high on new games and Ultra on most of the rest), but I am eyeballing 4k down the road, and these upgrades are with that in mind.

My current setup is as follows:
GPU- Radeon R9 270 (DC2OC)
CPU- i5-2550k 3.4ghz
MB- ASUS P8Z77-V LK
16gb RAM Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600mhz
850w PSU

If I do need an upgrade I am going to get the Devil's Canyon i7 4790k, and would love your thoughts on a good MB to go with it (I plan on using a single GPU, due to DX12 pooling VRAM with integrated cards, and the issues with SLI/XFire).

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
That's a tough call, I think you wouldn't see too much of a bottleneck with the newer card as the 2550k is still a fairly strong processor. I would say get the new card first and then see if it really is a strong bottleneck and if you aren't satisfied then get the new platform. I also suggest this because Skylake will soon be to the market as well as AMD's new GPU and CPU's (though for the CPU I would stay with Intel unless AMD has some real tricks up their sleeve.)