Second monitor isn't being detected

DEEKZTV

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I have two ASUS 21.5" monitors. My first monitor is connected to my GTX video card and works perfectly fine. My second monitor is connected to my mobo through the DVI port (also tried VGA), but when ever I turn it on, it says NO VGA SIGNAL and goes to sleep. Also, it can't be detected neither. PLEASE HELP!

Windows 8.1 Pro

DEEKZTV

Reputable
May 7, 2015

I didn't do that in BIOS; didn't see the option. I have a DVI port with VGA converter along with an HDMI. I plugged my second monitor into the HDMI port and it's now showing a second monitor, but the monitor still won't respond when turned on.

DEEKZTV

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Did that at first and only one monitor was displayed. Plugged my second monitor into my GPU HDMI and it now displays the second monitor, but the monitor still goes to sleep when turned on.

you should not need to go that route. plugging them both in should make them work. Please correct me if I'm wrong here because I want to be sure I have all teh info correct:

when both monitors are plugged in the second one will come on Show the Desktop screen and go to sleep?

this will sound funny but also try doing a Clean install of the GPU driver.

DEEKZTV

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Nope. 2nd monitor never turns on. It's being detected through monitor 1 in the change display screen, but the 2nd monitor never turns on. I try to turn it on and it goes right back to sleep.

OK after reading your first post again it states that 1 monitor ( main display ) is hooked to the GPU. The second is hooked to the motherboard.

Both monitors need to be hooked to the GPU. Also if the monitors do not have DVI ports or HDMI ports then they are analog signal and this could cause an issue.

Please give the model numbers of the monitors so we can check for our selves.

The smaller port is called a display port. This looks like a mini HDMI port. You could get a converter to go from display port to DVI and run a dvi cable to the monitor.

If you only have 1 DVI port then you could get the splitter you were mentioning.

Again please give us the Model number of the monitors and the exact GPU make and model. This way we can do research for you instead of having 1001 questions.

If your 2nd monitor is hooked to the mother board then it is running off of the iGPU in the CPU. Yes this works but as a warning the graphics displayed on that monitor will less powerful than the main monitor that is running off the GPU. Also just to start, Watch the CPU temps as they will go up because more of the CPU is being used generating more heat. This is just a precautionary measure to ensure no issue will arise down the road.

Glad you got it going. Good luck :)