Netgear router can't access sites previously blocked by firewall

rmart

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I have a Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router.
Yesterday I put a couple sites in the 'blocked sites' firewall in order to 'help' my daughter focus on her homework. (youtube and pinterest).

I also changed my DNS settings to OpenDNS.

The ironic thing is that her computer (Win8.1 laptop connecting wirelessly) is still able to access those sites and my PC (Win7Pro PC connecting wired) can't.

Well, no biggie, I just figure I'll have to keep a closer eye on her while she's doing her homework but there's another problem. I disabled the blocked sites option last night and still can't access pinterest. I get the page stating the site was blocked by the Netgear firewall so it can't be OpenDNS. This is after unblocking the site last night. Now this morning I still can't get through. I can get through to youtube however. Very weird.

edit prior to actually posting:
Just before posting this I had a flash of insight and cleared my browser cache. That seems to have fixed it. I'm posting this anyway in case it's of use to someone else.

Opendns is a waste of time it is trivial to bypass for anyone who even wants spend a minute to try. When you used to search opendns on google the recommended added word was "bypass" since so many people search for that.

rmart

Reputable
May 12, 2015
lol, didn't get that far.
Well, I'm back to square one regarding blocking the sites.
I thought perhaps it might be that the router handles wired destinations differently than wireless which is why it successfully blocked me and not her but I tried accessing the sites on our other laptop (Win7Pro, older laptop) and that laptop was being blocked successfully.

Perhaps I need to clear the cache on her laptop as well although that kind of defeats the purpose. The traffic should be blocked at the router, not the destination. If all traffic comes through the router before it goes to the destination PC it would seem to me that bypassing would require access to the router which she doesn't have. I'll have to check out these bypass methods.

A good router can filter traffic well it just is a pain to setup. Filtering by URL names does not always work...especially since most sites now run https and you can't even see the urls anymore. You pretty much need to put in huge lists of ip and even that can be painful when different dns servers give you different ip for sites.....thanks to akamai.

The router can not be bypassed as easy as opendns since it is actually looking at the packets. The reason opendns is trivial to bypass is the end user can just choose to not send their traffic to opendns.

Still it does not take kids long to quickly learn about proxy and vpn servers and those can bypass your ip blocks in the firewall. It is a massive task to try to get lists of all those sites.