Using Playstation 3DTV for a PC Monitor in 2D

Jassch

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I was wondering thoughts on using this TV with my PC? I would not be using the 3D function, actually, i am just looking at the specs and it seems better than PC monitors for similar price ranges.

I have read some things about the capability of the TV not actually being 240Hz, but in regards to 3D function. Naturally, no one is really talking about how well it performs simply for 2D but i wanted to consider this option as well because i would be getting a good deal.

Specifications:
Display type: Stereoscopic 3D HDTV
Screen size: 24"
Resolution: 1080p (1920 x 1080)
Colors: 16.7 million
Contrast ratio: 5000:1
Backlight type: Edge LED, white LED
Digital inputs (side): 2 HDMI, 1 component
Refresh rate: 240 Hz
Sound output: speakers (3W x 2), subwoofer (1 x 5w), 3.5 mm headphone jack (1)

Solution
Wouldn't do it. The main problem, to me, with using a TV as a computer monitor is that it simply wasn't designed for that level of detail. When trying to read text, it will look like utter crap. This is less of an issue with larger TVs, where it gets to the point where the sheer size of the font makes up for it. Maybe this is an issue that has been resolved in the many years since I've last tried using a TV as a monitor, though.

Will also point out that it will not be 240 Hz, because that doesn't happen. TV manufacturers use a bunch of little tricks and marketing words to simulate it, but they are usually just 120 Hz displays.

If you already own this TV, then go ahead and use it. Don't delude yourself into thinking it compares to a...

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Wouldn't do it. The main problem, to me, with using a TV as a computer monitor is that it simply wasn't designed for that level of detail. When trying to read text, it will look like utter crap. This is less of an issue with larger TVs, where it gets to the point where the sheer size of the font makes up for it. Maybe this is an issue that has been resolved in the many years since I've last tried using a TV as a monitor, though.

Will also point out that it will not be 240 Hz, because that doesn't happen. TV manufacturers use a bunch of little tricks and marketing words to simulate it, but they are usually just 120 Hz displays.

If you already own this TV, then go ahead and use it. Don't delude yourself into thinking it compares to a high-quality monitor though. It is retailing for almost $400 on Amazon right now, and for that price, you can get a MUCH better monitor than this...thing. Honestly, I didn't even think too poorly of it until I saw that price, but jeez. Might as well drop a few hundred extra for an ROG Swift or one of the new Acer 144 Hz IPS screens.

Solution

Jassch

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Thank you for replying, it is very appreciated.

Well, i was looking at this because i could get them manufacturer refurbished, which is not ideal but puts them in my budget. My budget is not $400 (trying to stay below $300), AND i would be looking to get a pair. I can get the pair of PS Tvs for around $250.
My budget is this low because i will not be doing any intense gaming, movie production, or hq art. What is most important to me is accurate color as i would be doing some game design, but even in that i am not a professional or making money so they budget would likely have to remain under $300.

Thank you for bringing up that point about about font and such, i didn't know that.
I happen to be on a tv right now, i keep a spare low end pc in my room for browsing. Text is very clear and i don't really see any difference with the monitor i already have on my main computer, and my friend also uses a tv without any major issues. This is not to say that you are wrong, only that i am wondering how i can tell if/which tvs actually are crisp for pc monitor use. Clearly, at least some of them must capable, and as far as i can tell the PS Tv is higher quality than the Tv i am on currently.

I realize that 240Hz is unrealistic, but the basic specs of this TV are better than actual pc monitors for the same price i have found. 120Hz is a big improvement over similar priced monitors (where i am seeing 50-60), and i enjoy that it has built in speakers (and built in speakers on monitors put them higher priced than the refurb Ps Tv).

Thank you again for your response. If you have time again, please let me know your thoughts: For $120 range is this 'thing' ok - or is spending the same on actual pc monitor still going to be better?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Actually, in that case, it's a much more appealing deal. Personally, I would still prefer an IPS-panel monitor for the better colors and wider viewing angles, but it will cost you at least $200 for one of those. I'm actually not even sure what kind of screen this TV uses. If you can pick two of these up for around $250, that's not a terrible choice. As an enthusiast and gamer, I would rather invest in something better, but these are, at the very least, equivalent if not better than most monitors that retail for around $125-$150.