Monitors? 1080p 144hz? 1440p 60hz?

SemiJimmy

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Hello. I am building my new pc very soon but I simply can't decide what monitor(s) I should pick!
These are the minimum pc specs of my build (ignore the prices) :

i5 4690k - 250eu
GTX 970 - 380eu (eu prices D: !!)
Asrock z97 pro 4 - 110eu
8gb corsair vengeance ram - 62eu
1tb seagate desktop hdd - 55eu
Corsair cx600w - 75eu
NZXT S340 - 70eu
Cooler master hyper 212 evo - 30eu
Samsung 850 evo 250gb - 115eu

I will be using the monitor(s) for MineCraft (Yes I know don't flip on me for playing MC), FPS such as battlefield, and maybe CounterStrike. I can't really decide between a 1080p 144hz monitor (MC, CounterStrike) or a 1440p 60hz monitor.. I'll be using it for editing YouTube videos as well. Thanks in Advance.

Oh and please say your own monitor size and whether you are or aren't happy with the size. Thanks!

Solution
Hello, Jimmy!

Before listing the different panel types, resolution and size. It would be very helpful if you answered these:

Budget:

High or low refresh rate:

High or low response time:

Is color & contrast important:

What size do you want it to be:

How far away do you sit:

It'll be a great starting point, buying a new monitor can be very frustrating, I personally use a 23" monitor, it's a HP 23Xi, and I use a 32" TV while gaming on my couch with a controller. I'm very happy with both of my displays, though I might look into upgrading my TV to something bigger. :)
Hello, Jimmy!

Before listing the different panel types, resolution and size. It would be very helpful if you answered these:

Budget:

High or low response time:

What size do you want it to be:

How far away do you sit:

It'll be a great starting point, buying a new monitor can be very frustrating, I personally use a 23" monitor, it's a HP 23Xi, and I use a 32" TV while gaming on my couch with a controller. I'm very happy with both of my displays, though I might look into upgrading my TV to something bigger. :)

Solution

SemiJimmy

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Okay thank you very much for your answer, Suzuki

Budget: Around 300 euro

^ I can't really decide.. I have never seen a 1440p screen in real life or played with a 60hz+ screen.. I kinda want a 1080p 144hz because I play games that do not require that much power off my GPU and will get high FPS (MineCraft and such) but.. The Graphics of a 1440p are amazing too, great for editing which I will be doing aswell. It's just a really hard choice for me. A quick question: Are IPS panels only for 1440p or are there IPS panels for 1080p 144hz too? (And affordable)

High or low response time: Low (I'll be gaming, a lot)

What size do you want it to be: I am thinking around 23 or 25 inches.. I am using a laptop at the moment so it's hard to pick a new size. I am going to an electronic store fairly soon to check out how they look in real life.

How far away do you sit: (Will add this later)

I want to upgrade to dual monitors later when I have more money (a few months after I bought my desktop and monitor that I am trying to pick at this very moment) so I don't want a screen that has very big black bars. For ex. your screen (suzuki's) looks great for dual screens because the small black bars but unfortionally it isn't something I would pick because the hz refreshrate.

I have been thinking for a bit and I think I will go with: 1080p gaming screen
High refresh rate
A screen that looks beautiful> for a 1080p screen
Low response time
What size: I honestly don't know yet..
My desk.. The desk is to the wall. The desk has a size of 55 cm (from my Side to the wall) the distantance from my eyes to the screen is around 48 Cm (to my 17inch laptop screen)

If I get a real PC I will be putting the screen a bit further tho, because it will be bigger. If i put my laptop further away the keyboard isn't in a comfortabel position with my laptop atm.

So I do want a 1080p 144hz screen and I will most likely add a 1440p screen in the future. I am going for the 1080p now because if I play on a 1440p for months and then go to a 1080p I am scared that I won't use it, I still want that 144hz tho (for the one im buying now,sorry if I am rambling lol)

I may honestly go with a big screen and if its too close to me from the desk I can mount it to the wall (and push my desk back if that is too close) the MINIMUM distantie from my eyes to the wall is 64 cm. Is this okay with a 27 inch monitor?
Thank you for your questions you've really helped me figure things out more then you'd expect!! :)

Edit: we have a really big TV screen in the living room and it's worth it! (If you sit far from the cautch like I do)

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
After a lot of reading and research myself I knew I had to have a G-sync monitor as gaming is the reason I got more expensive parts.

Ended up with the AOC (now $400 in the states), a 1080p G-sync 144hz 24in screen. Huge upgrade over my 22in 1080p 60hz LG that was about 4 years old. A little larger, smoother high hz, way better color (the biggest surprise of all).

I do play older games on 4k DSR which is nice but all the new demanding games I prefer @ 1080p for highest possible settings. just my 2 cents/experience =)

SemiJimmy

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Nice man, what monitor do you have? Isn't AOC a brand?

SemiJimmy

Reputable
May 13, 2015

400 euro already is a little too pricey for me =(

TRENDING THREADS