ASRock z97 Extreme4 Error Code 99

Maxit

Reputable
May 14, 2015
I recently just build my first computer and can boot everything up without the GPU installed, but as soon as I try to install it I will always give me a 99 error code, which should mean that there is something wrong with the PCI-e slot.

I have tried multiple times to reset the GPU and make sure it's locked into place and even tried moving to different slots. The GPU evens powers up when I plug it in.

My question is whether the problem is the motherboard or GPU which is a MSI GTX 970 4G card.

My ASRock motherboard's BIOS requires that you change the location of the graphics adapter from "on board" to "PCI Express" after installing a PCI Express graphics card. Check your BIOS settings as it may require the same setting to be changed on your board too.

If you don't change the setting from the default "on board", your system will continue to use the integrated graphics chip (which obviously you don't want).

Maxit

Reputable
May 14, 2015

I had recently checked that option, and it was originally set up for PCI Express ad just to be sure I installed it under the on board option too because I had nothing else to try really. Would you think that the motherboard or VGA card would be more to blame?

Another possibility then is that you may have forgotten to connect the PCIe power leads to it from the PSU?

(I think the MSI GTX 970 has two such connectors on it - 6-pin & 8-pin, I think you only need to have both connected if your running two cards in SLI but I could be wrong).

Maxit

Reputable
May 14, 2015

OMG. That was it. I thought only the 8 pin connector needed to be plugged in. Thank you very much.