Whats this reddish spot on my laptop screen?

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
It's super annoying. The laptop is 4 years old. Everything else is fine. The screen was fine too.
But about a couple of hours back, i noticed this spot appearing on the screen, it's not going away.
I have turned off the laptop, kept it powered off for one hour, but it's still present, even in the "HP" screen that shows up before Windows loads.
Here's a picture I took using my phone, if i take a screenshot using printscreen key, the spot is not present in the captured image.

Office_Lens_20150514_231417_Copy_2.jpg

It's there right above the mouse pointer. See it?

Is there a way to fix this? It looks like the display itself has gone bad.

Solution
Stuck pixel. Do a search online, there's a few programs that will cycle an area of the screen rapidly with random colors to try and unstick it. Not 100% that it will fix it, though. If it doesn't, it'll stay like that until you replace the screen.

lullemannen90

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Looks like a stuck pixel. Search on YouTube for "stuck pixel fix" and run a video for a while, it should fix it. If it was a dead pixel it would be black and it cannot be fixed. Stuck pixels are coloured, like red, green and blue etc.

Saberus

Distinguished
Stuck pixel. Do a search online, there's a few programs that will cycle an area of the screen rapidly with random colors to try and unstick it. Not 100% that it will fix it, though. If it doesn't, it'll stay like that until you replace the screen.

Solution

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks everyone, I downloaded this app called UDPixel, it's flashing a small square box with various colors very rapidly, I placed that box under this stuck pixel thing. How long should I let it run? Any idea what caused the stuck pixel? It's probably not a manufacturing defect, as the screen was perfectly fine for 4 whole years and it just failed..

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I have left it on for 3 hours.
The spot has reduced a bit, but it's still present!
It's not black, so I'm guessing it's not a "dead" pixel?
It's orange-red in color.
I'll keep it running overnight and see if it manages to correct the problem.
I've heard screens cost almost as much as motherboards.. If that's the case, it would hardly make any sense to replace the screen on a notebook that's already 4 years old... :(

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
It worked! I left it running overnight, and the spot has disappeared completely!
Great job everyone, honestly I didn't have much hope, it's a hardware problem and hardware problems in general cannot really be fixed using software methods.
In my case i left it running for 12 hours straight, and then when I stopped it, the spot is gone, as if it was never there.
Hexit, it took a lot more time that you suggested, but it really worked!
I have restarted the computer a couple of times, the spot is not present in the "HP" screen, it's not present in Windows as well.
Hope this is a permanent fix and it doesn't return after a few days :)

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
For other members facing this problem, I used a software called UDPixel, downloaded it from HERE: http://udpix.free.fr/
The page lists Windows Vista/XP/2000 with .NET Framework v2 as supported platform, but it works in Windows 8.1, it worked for me.
If it works in 8.1, it should work in 7 too. Make sure you have the correct .net framework installed.
If it doesn't instantly fix your problem, leave it running for a while. It took 12 hours for me.
Also make sure Windows is not configured to put your computer to sleep or hibernate or turn the screen off while this is running.

TRENDING THREADS