Cannot get the native resolution for my monitor after installing new gpu.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Monitor : samsung Syncmaster 2033SW 20 inch LCD display.
Gpu : GTX 960 by Inno3D Herculz X2 edition.

so earlier i had a gt 520 which was able to get my monitor to 1600x900 as native resolution, but now my 960 shows my native resolution to be 1024x768 and its horrible.

i thought that with dsr i'll get 1080p but when i keep 1080p res. monitor gets kindve blurry and and keeps a box in mid screen telling that this is not optimum resolution it should be set to 1600x900 @ 60Hz.

If i keep 900p resolution then the display goes off screenon both left and right side.

I have latest nvidia drivers. One thing to note is that i connected my monitor to gpu using a VGA to DVI adapter because i didnt have a dvi cable and GPU doesnt have a VGA port, so maybe thats a problem??

Solution
Qouted: "
1. Click Start, type advanced into the search box.
2. Under Control Panel, click View Advanced System Settings.
3. In the Performance section, click the [ Settings... ] button.
4. Select the Visual Effects tab.
5. Uncheck the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop setting.

-Noel"

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014

so its just the vga cable bugging me??
i'll get a cable but the problem is no local vendor keeps it so i have to go to main market which is pretty far.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
thats a problem it might come at an unexpected time when there's no one home.
but i'll see wat i can do.
can u ensure getting the dvi cable will fix this issue..
curently using 720p res so that the text is atleast sharp and readable.

FreshRestart

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
VGA is more than capable of displaying your monitor's native resolution, and the DVI port you plugged the cable in already has the necessary pins to transmit the analog signal. There is a possibility that dsr requires a DVI(digital) signal though.

Disable DSR. At best it may have a small improvement in games but at least get your monitor working at the correct resolution first.

Connecting a DVI to VGA cable to the DVI-I connector on your graphics card should be exactly the same as using a VGA connector if your card had one.
This analog connection easily supports the native resolution of your monitor.
DVI to DVI is natively digital. It may look a little better and support more features, but not likely your issue at the moment.

Most likely explanation is that your monitor is not being correctly detected.
You have probably restarted multiple times, but if not that is the first thing to try.
Is the DVI to VGA cable connected directly to the monitor, or are you using something like a KVM?
When you look at the display settings on your computer, is the monitor listed as the correct model or "generic monitor"?
In the advanced settings there is a check box to "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". Untick the box and apply. See if you can select 1600x900 and if it works correctly.

If none of this helps:
Uninstall the display driver
Use a software tool or follow a guide to cleanup anything left behind by the drivers
Install the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Common usage of the term VGA refers to a d-sub connector or analog video signal.
The old VGA display mode was 640x480 and hasn't been in common usage for a long time.

The maximum supported analog resolution on this card using a DVI to VGA cable is 2048x1536.
Colors supported by the VGA connector or DVI connector on this monitor will be exactly the same.

The only loss is because the graphics card must convert video from digital to analog and then the monitor must convert from analog to digital. This will cause a very minor loss of quality, but nothing you will notice on a low end monitor.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
1)I have restrted my PC like 10 times didn't help at all.
2)I dont have a DVI to VGA cable instead its a small adapter plug of DVI at one end and VGA at other end.
3)I have fresh installed my 3 different drivers for my gtx 960. same for everything, but when the guy at shop tested my gpu he was able to get 2k resolution on his 18.5 inch monitor.
4)In Nvidia CP it says Analog display Connector : VGA -PC display.
5)In device manager Monitors it says Generic non PnP monitor.
6) It easily detects the GPU though.

Now, thing is, earlier I had GT 520 from nvidia which had a VGA port itself and no HDMI for its cost and when i connected my monitor my gpu clearly says that i should set my native resolution only which is 1600x900. And that looked really beautiful.
I'm not sure if my monitor was detected as something other than generic non PnP display when i had my GT 520.

1 more thing to notice is that i went to samsung's website and to my model page, they had some sort of drivers for my monitor which is less than 1 mb. I had downloaded it but not yet installed, please tell me should i?

FreshRestart

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
It won't hurt to install the drivers. It could be an issue with the monitor being an old model and all. If that doesn't work, your only other option will be to buy a DVI cable. Did the guy at the shop use a VGA or a DVI cable?

DVI to VGA adapter is the same as a DVI to VGA cable. This is not an issue.
The monitor drivers won't hurt, but they won't help for this issue either. They generally aren't necessary.
You moved from one Nvidia card to another. You have mentioned installing the latest driver, but you likely need to remove the drivers and reinstall them for the new card to work correctly.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Like I said I have tries 3 different drivers, and for 1 out of 3 to work the other needs to be removed.
Guy at shop did the same thing as me, he connected his VGA to VGA cable using the adapter I provided to him.

I guess this is some refresh rate related problem, because when I play skyrim my normal fps comes about 75-77 and does not go beyond that, (obviously it does dip at certain parts to low 40s )so possibly monitor refresh rate was set to 75 hz.
I will check my PC today , first I'll try the drivers of monitors, then I'll check the skyrim settings if v sync is enabled then it's definitely refresh rate related error.
Although I have made sure I run the resolution at 60hz in both windows resolution changer and nvidia control panel.
I'll rep port back in a few hours, I have exam today then afterwards fresher's party.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
1 more thing to add before I leave, all the game I currently have scale properly on the monitor at any resolution, it's just the desktop itself.
If I override this setting in NCP then games also go off screen.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Alright fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes the problem was refresh rate, i set 1600x900 @ 75 Hz and everything went better than expected, it scaled correctly and looks as beautiful as ever.
Can any1 tell me how can i disable the shadows on text its making it impossible to read and i cant seem to find the setting for it.

FreshRestart

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
Qouted: "
1. Click Start, type advanced into the search box.
2. Under Control Panel, click View Advanced System Settings.
3. In the Performance section, click the [ Settings... ] button.
4. Select the Visual Effects tab.
5. Uncheck the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop setting.

-Noel"

Solution