120Hz HDMI LED 1080p Monitor for gaming

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
I'm looking for a 120Hz (or even a 144Hz) monitor that works over [strike]HDMI, not DVI (meaning I don't want a 144Hz screen that runs at 144Hz over DVI, but the HDMI port only runs at 60Hz.)[/strike] I was stupid and confused VGA for DVI, DVI is absolutely fine. Full HD is pretty much essential and if possible LED. (Not interested in 4k monitors.)

Although not seriously important I'd like around 1ms-5ms response time.

I've researched for quite a while yet all the screens I find even slightly related to my specs tend to either have a very loud and obnoxious "buzzing" sound when on, or the colours are reported to be very low quality and "washed-out". What would you suggest? My budget is £300 and the size of screen is not important although ideally 23"-25" would be nice.
I have MSI's GTX 970 graphics card.

Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Better off sticking to DL_DVI or DP for 120+hz. HDMI 2 does support it but will need this version in both monitor and GPU. So far only GTX970 and 980 support HDMI v2.

Edit; Yep, and you have a 970.

Carry on :)

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

Thanks that does sound pretty good, I tend not to buy from no-name brands simply because if it breaks in the first week or so there isn't really much of a guarantee for refund/replacement but the reviews on it all seem positive and the price is very fair.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Better off sticking to DL_DVI or DP for 120+hz. HDMI 2 does support it but will need this version in both monitor and GPU. So far only GTX970 and 980 support HDMI v2.

Edit; Yep, and you have a 970.

Carry on :)

Solution

SpaceFrontier

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

Thanks for replying,

do either of these screens have HDMI v2?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/IIYAMA-ProLite-GB2488HSU-B1-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B00IPN552M/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431691511&sr=1-1&keywords=iiyama+144hz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00B19T7QC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/277-0001003-5414227

I tried to find info about them on other sites but nothing came up about what version of HDMI they used, just that they had HDMI in general.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
4k monitors will have hdmi v2. Will be next to impossible right now to find a native 1080p 120hz+ monitor with hdmi v2. Hdmi v2 is mainly designed for 4k inmind so i somehow doubt you'll find 1080p only anytime soon, unless you get an 4k monitor and run it in 1080p, albeit an expensive way of doing things.

The VG278HE is a good monitor. It comes with Dual-link DVI. DVI is still as good as HDMI, albeit sound pass through will depend on the GPU and DVI ports if it allows it. This monitor includes an 3.5mm audio jack to get sound through to the built in speakers - So guessing thats a no (but maybe not a total no, DVI can be finicky when it comes to sound) of using sound over DVI.

Another port attribute to look for in other monitors is Displayport. It does everything HDMI does including sound albeit supports higher refresh rates like Dual-link DVI.