4k as second monitor, GTX 760

TonyEngl

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Hello,
I am new to these forums I always look things up and end up coming to tom's hardware so I decided to just get involved with the forums.

with that said let me introduce you into my problem. So I was recently browsing my local craigslist when I found a samsung U28D590D for sale for 240 bucks, in perfect condition and less then a year old. So I couldn't resist in buying it its such great deal. For those of you who dont know this is a 28 inch 4k display and a very popular one. My current pc build is an i7 processor and a gtx 760 with 2gb of Vram.

Now my question, Will I be able to use this 4k display as my second monitor if I don't game on it, like say I continue to game on my 1080p monitor and use this 4k just for other tabs and stuff will this affect my frames or cause other issues? Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Solution
Its still 4k worth of pixels that the gpu will need to 'process' so yes it will affect your FPS. You will likely need a second gpu just for that 4k display.
I would suggest grabbing a new gaming gpu and use the 760 just for your 4k display, You will most likely need to use the display port and might only get 30hz from it. (I'm not sure what that monitor supports)

popatim

Titan
Its still 4k worth of pixels that the gpu will need to 'process' so yes it will affect your FPS. You will likely need a second gpu just for that 4k display.
I would suggest grabbing a new gaming gpu and use the 760 just for your 4k display, You will most likely need to use the display port and might only get 30hz from it. (I'm not sure what that monitor supports)

Solution