GTA V Lag Stutter Fix [HELP]

Nickelodeon37

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I'm running GTA V on PC, And at random times i will suddenly start to lag. An example is when I'll be racing down the street with some friends, they might be 10-20ft behind me, then all of a sudden the screen will freeze for about 0.5-1 seconds and my friends will be 20 ft in front of me and it will happen this freezing over and over again. I can't find a reason for why it happens, sometimes it will lag when i am zooming(loading) into the map. other times its just walking around.

Specs:
Core-i5 4790k
Z97-GA-G1 Sniper (Gigabyte)
2x4 Corsair 1866 DDR3 RAM
GTX 970 EVGA
Corsair 650 PS
HDD 3TB ST3000DM001-1ER166
I run 2 monitors at 1920x1080
my graphics aren't maxed or anything mostly everything on normal.
Anti-Aliasing : OFF (I know that sometimes causes Lots of lag)

If anybody has a solution that would be great

I've tried the whole Alt-Tab thihg, that doesn't work

Rukeith

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
I get the exact same problem. Every now and then it's like FREEZE, resume, FREEZE, resume, FREEZE, back to normal. If this describes what you're experiencing then it isn't just you. I think I spoke to people in game about it and they said they had experienced it too so yeah, I don't THINK it's a hardware issue considering it's only in GTA that this happens.

newhere2015

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Try this. Open task manager, start GTA V. Keep task manager on top and right click GTA V.EXE and set priority to high. Right click gtavlauncher set priority to low and click affinity and select 1 core. Also run service.msc and disable startup items. This seems to have stopped microstutters on mine, though tomorrow they might be back with the way this game runs (it is fine one time then the next it sucks)

I have no advanced settings and no fxaa and no msaa on a gtx 970. It still looks great and 60fps is icing on the cake..

Nickelodeon37

Reputable
May 16, 2015
how do i set the priority to high, that isn't an option for me. My drivers are all updated and things, Another thing I can set my Graphics (everything) to the Absolute max and still run fine, but i tried running it at the lowest graphic settings and it still lags so im not sure what it is. My cpu isn't thermal throttling because i have i've looked at it and Ive been playing and lagging and never gone above 40 C so i have no idea what it is

freud

Reputable
Jun 14, 2015
Before GTA V PC was really smooth but since last 9 June patch, lag in both story and online. So i had find a fix , only for story mode.
Just run Story mode in offline mod.
Simply disable your internet before starting the game, by disabling lan card where your modem is connected, and wait until the game ask you to launch offline mod. After that enable your internet and shuttering , lag gone, that work really well for me.
If the game ask you to activate, when you want to start offline mod, you need to retry and retry, and it will work, i got this problem too.
Other thing, social trading, stock exchange can't work in offline mod.
Bye