4k Samsung tv whont work

ilikenvidea

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
i have the 2014 model of the 55 inch Samsung tv my computer displays 1080p on it but when i turn to 4 k it just goes black and whont turn to 4k i have a gtx 970

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Make sure you have enabled "UHD colors" on the HDMI port that you are using on your Samsung. You'll have to check your user manual to find the exact procedure: I don't have one... If this doesn't work, try a new cable.

1) The HDMI cable should be rated for version 2.0.

That doesn't mean that a lower version won't work, it's just less certain if it's rated for version 1.3 for example. It's basically a copper wire so the impedance needs to be low enough so some lower versions work fine and some won't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

2) Settings:
Since it's an HDTV you should be configuring this in the HDTV section of the video control panel and NOT using the desktop and choosing 3840x2160.

So likely something more like:

2160p_NTSC@60Hz

Firmware update:

Just FYI, I noticed a firmware update for your HDTV (April 2015). It's version 1090.3 (if I'm correct).

(It should update automatically, just thought I'd mention it so you can check and see if your updates are working properly. It's also about 2GB which is huge. At 6Mbps it would take about an hour to download.)

Other:
When you get it working make sure you don't use 120Hz mode for PC or movies (mainly sports only). Many HDTV's have 120Hz/240Hz mode but still only accept 60Hz signals. If you choose 120Hz mode the HDTV compares artificially adds frames to make the image smoother but that creates two issues:
a) There's a DELAY (so not suitable for gaming), and
b) Mainly only suitable for sports.
When a MOVIE is made (usually 24Hz) motion blurring is artificially added in. Reality isn't blurry, however our perception of it is for moving objects because our eye/brain becomes overwhelmed with data. If we reduce the amount of data such as a 24Hz video without artificial blurring, our brains no longer perceive blurring thus we have to add it in.

However the amount of motion blur is carefully created to match the frame rate and panning speed of the camera. When you create 120Hz (2X) or 240Hz (4X) the motion blur/Hz ratio is incorrect so it just looks wrong.

*For sports it's fine usually because there shouldn't be artificial motion blur plus we mainly just want to see the fine details like the football or player motions; we're not concerned with preserving the proper cinematic aspects.