Different CPU or upgrade GPU?

David36

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
I right now have an i7 4930k oc'd @ 4 GHz and my GPU is a GTX 780ti. I'm looking for better performance in games. I've been thinking about selling my GTX 780ti and upgrading to a GTX Titan X or selling my i7 4930k and switching to a 4790k / Z97 and hopping that I get a 4790k that can at least OC to 4.4 GHz on all cores under full load (not just the default 2) stable without overheating. I've been leaning more towards a faster GPU with more VRAM than going for a the 4790k / Z97 because already some games require more than 3 GB VRAM if you want to enable advanced graphics settings even at 1080p and with the Titan X's 12 GB VRAM is should be set for at least a few years. With my system, the GPU seems to be the bottleneck in most games anyways. Sure I can overclock my GPU but that won't solve the 3 GB limit on it. If I go for the 4790k, it will be a downgrade in heavy multithreaded performance and I hear that DX12 will make good use of multithreading but it will be an upgrade in overall gaming performance currently as most games right now don't use more than 4 cores.