Help me pick cooler: Corsair h110i gt or Cooler Master Nepton 240m

kludermor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I am looking at these two closed loop coolers.

Corsair Hydro h110i gt
Cooler Master Nepton 240m

I'm not into OC but I would like it to be as quiet as possible.
I have read many reviews. On paper they are almost identical when comparing decibel. I have heard the cooler master IRL and I find it to be quiet enough, but my friends PC had to much background noise from case fans to really tell if the pump was noisy or not.

Corsair have the LINK function, but all reviews say it is more noisy when using LINK. (Control of fans and pump)
Cooler master have no control of fans or pump.

I want: No pump noise, clicks, puffs or smoke. Preferable quiet stock fans, but I can change to more quiet versions if that will do the difference.

Anyone who have heard both CLCs in action or can help me decide?

Oh and I'm going to cool a i7 3930K for now, in a Cosmos 2 case.

Have a good day sir.

Hat In The Cat

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I personally like corsair products. In fact I'm going to be getting the h110i gt in the future. What I recomend you do is Google both products. Compare performance, how much power they need, and lastly the look. Oh and also see if they fit in your case.

I hope this answered your question!

Have fun researching!!!

kludermor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I have googled a lot. They come very close to each other. But some reviews say the pump is a little noisy in one review. Next review it's the fans which is a little noisy. Sometimes it's the corsair which seems most quiet and sometimes it's cooler master. In all reviews the decibel readings is within 1-3 db of each other.
But I hate to buy a presumable quiet product only to find out, that the pump or fans are clearly audible.

My Cosmos 2 case can fit a bus. It's not really a case, it's almost a cupboard.

So far my research only left more questions than answers.

Hat In The Cat

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I see where your stuck here. But here's the thing all high performance CPU coolers are going to make noise. I'm not saying there going to sound like a tornado in just saying that sometimes you will hear a "bump" when gaming or programming at a high CPU rate. The only way for you to almost NEVER hear anything is liquid cooling. There are a lot of risks that come with it though. For example one of your tubes starts to leak and then you have to buy a new graphics card. Another bad thing about liquid cooling is that they are pricy if you want a custom loop. Now let's cut to the chase here, since you have a 3930k the corsair would prob be best for you. Just see if it fits in you case because it's massive. Also the h110i gt will support any CPU. So if you plan to upgrade then you won't have to change coolers.

I hope this answered all your questions!

Sincerely,
Hat In The Cat.

kludermor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I thought that air cooling is the way to go if you really want a near silent setup. Water cooling only comes close to silent. But close to silent is enough for me.
I almost ordered the corsair cooler when I found a review of H110i gt on hexus.net
Som of the conclusion posted here.
The Bad

Pump noise is still an issue.

So I'm back to needing advice from someone who have heard one or both CLCs in action.

snapper69

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Up until a few weeks ago I was using the H110i GT to cool a 3570K o/c'd to 4.3. It was a nice cooler, fairly quiet and the pump was silent unless I cranked it up to Performance, then you could hear it. The stock fans were good, nototoo noisy and they kept the cpu at about 35 degrees at idle and 65 ish under stress.
When I changed my case, the H110i GT wouldn't fit so I swapped to the Nepton 240M. It was a little bit trickier to install, but when it was in, it worked beautifully, although the fans were a bit noisy, as they were running at fairly high speed. I connected them to a Corsair Commander Mini and set them to quiet mode and they were much better. The temps also dropped to 31 at idle and no more than 60 when stressed. This may partly be because the new case has better cooling (Thermaltake Level 10 GT).
The Silencio fans supplied with the Nepton are now available on the CoolerMaster website.

http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/cpu-cooling/nepton-120xl-fp-fan/

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

That must have been an isolated case, because one of the most common praise the H110i GT gets both from reviewers and actual users is how quiet the pump is. The reviewer even said in the comment area that he couldn't even tell the difference between quiet and performance mode when switching the pump's profile in Corsair Link.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_h110i_gt_review/9

The pump on the H110iGT is essentially silent to the point where we could not determine any discernible difference between silent and performance mode with the pump. Most definitely no buzzing of any sort.

kludermor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I bought the Cooler Master Nepton 240m a few month ago, but I'm not satisfied with the pump on this unit. Sometimes it starts to rattle when under load. And when it starts to rattle then even web browsing with Crome will keep it rattling. Maybe I got a faulty unit, but seems like that happens often with closed loop coolers when I start googleing.
When not rattling, the pump IS really quiet.

CorsairJoseph

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Sorry to hear that. I'm not that familiar with the CM Nepton cooler, but since it is very similar to our H100i, I'd would suggest that you check the pump's rpm and make sure its not fluctuating since you've mentioned that it starts happening when your system in under load. Is the pump using a 3pin connector as power or is it using molex. If its 3pin and have you it plugged in to one of the fan header on your board, make sure that fan port has constant 12v... if you it has smart fan control or any of those temp control in BIOS, make sure its disabled.

sanwokie

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Both are probably great and I've had both Corsair as well as CM CPU coolers. I would recommend going with the Corsair H110i GTX http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CW-9060019-W... based on my experiences with Corsair's customer service which is excellent. I've not had any interaction with CoolerMaster's so I can't speak to their service which may be equally as helpful but Corsair's products perform and they have great service so I would recommend that route. They also look pretty classy but that is a matter of preference. =)