Motherboard has trouble recognising graphics cards

KevinMiller

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

Today I decided to clean up the inside of my PC case again, mainly to reduce the VRM temperature on my graphics card, and in general just to dust everything out. I never actually physically took any of the components out and I treated everything very gently.

However, after plugging all the cords into the back of the PC my monitor would no longer display anything, although it was connected (it did not display a ''not connected'' message) and my PC booted up just fine, Mobo gave one short beep and I heard the startup sound from Windows 7 after a while, so my computer must've thought it was indeed starting up properly. Graphics card and Motherboard were both receiving power and running.
After several reboots nothing changed and I thought it might be monitor related, hence I decided to swap around my current monitor for one of my older ones. This did not work.

Hardware used while testing:
MOBO: MSI Z77a-g43
Graphics card: Radeon 7950 Sapphire/ Geforce 260 GTS

I decided to take matters into my own hands and reseat my graphics card, which is a Radeon 7950 Sapphire. Again, monitor would not display anything. I made sure it was 100% shoved into the pci 3.0 slot, I'm certain it did not stick out a millimetre.
I tried to boot my PC again without my graphics card and now it did work and automatically switched to onboard GFX. This completely eliminated any chance of it being the monitor or any of the cables connecting it to the PC.

At this point I was almost certain my graphics card was the culprit, but just to be completely certain I put my old 260 GTS in the same motherboard pci 3.0 slot that my 7950 used to be settled in.

Nothing. I attempted to reseat both graphics cards again, just to be completely certain they were not seated incorrectly, another two boots later it still did not display anything on my monitor.

I tried putting it into the pci 2.0 slot on my mobo and voila, it booted up, recognising my 260 GTS. The 7950 would unfortunately not fit in my 2.0 slot (too large, cables blocked the way) so I had to forego that for now. Instead I attempted to, out of frustration I admit, push the 260 GTS into the pci 3.0 slot again, roughly, since i presumed my motherboard was entirely broken anyway and I don't care much for my older graphics card.

Suddenly it booted up, no problem. 260 GTS recognised in the pci 3.0 slot. At this point I admit I was astonished. the pci 3.0 slot didn't recognise my 7950 nor my 260 GTS before, why would it now? Deciding to test my luck, I took my 260 GTS out and put my 7950 back in. It was recognised, even with my 7950 I could again boot my PC up no problem.

I ran FurMark for 20 minutes to make sure my 7950 wasn't just malfunctioning, and in case it was malfunctoning to force the GFX card to break down, but it didn't have any trouble keeping up and only ran a little cooler (because I cleaned it :) ). Temps 63-66 celsius under load (it was inching below 70 before), should not be enough to damage it either way.

Right now I'm uncertain as to what the problem exactly is, I prefer if something just stops working entirely instead of the ''sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont'' phenomena.

TL;DR
My graphics cards seem to have problems connecting to my pci 3.0 slot, but only sometimes, is it possible my motherboard is partially, but not entirely, broken while displaying no errors whatsoever when it does decide to work? Could something else be the culprit instead?

With friendly regards,

Kevin

Greetings,

Yes, Your suggestion is, and isn't right.

What is Your power supply unit model/type? Do You have the newest BiOS on Your motherboard? Do You run on optimal settings in BiOS? Did You connect all the cables to Your motherboard [even additional for CPU, since it sometimes shares a phase with PCI-e],

Please let us know these facts,

regards

uplink

KevinMiller

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hello Uplink, thank you for your quick response.

What is Your power supply unit model/type?

My PSU is a SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

Do You have the newest BiOS on Your motherboard?

Admittedly, no. I'm running MSI BiOS 2.6 whereas 2.13 is the latest version. I will flash this later today.

Do You run on optimal settings in BiOS?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. I poked around a little bit in the BiOS when I build this PC a little more than two years ago, a friend helped me configure a couple of things (like recognising the ram as 1666mhz instead of 1333mhz), beyond that I did not do a lot.

Did You connect all the cables to Your motherboard? [even additional for CPU, since it sometimes shares a phase with PCI-e],

I only removed one mobo cable, the power cord, when reseating my GFX (Because it's in the way :p ), beyond that I didn't touch anything. As far as I'm aware all cables are connected exactly as they have been the last two years.

Thanks for helping me out here,

Kevin

Hi there Kevin,

So, You have a rock solid PSU, that's good. There shouldn't be any lose ends. Please do try to reconnect motherboard cables [main rail + cpu rail].

Secondly, try to update the BiOS to the newest one. Clear Cmos. Right after load optimal settings [or performance settings, don't load fail-safe],

And update the thread :)

regards

uplink

KevinMiller

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Alright, I flashed the BiOS 30 seconds ago. I'll attempt to load optimal settings next and check whether everything is connected.

Update:
I reset factory settings, replugged all cables connected to the mobo and reconfigured my biOS again. Everything is still working so far, but I can't be certain if this fixes all problems.

Final question, I have to ask. Taking all precautions into account (updated biOS, reset biOS, replugged cables), should this happen again, can I presume it's most likely to be the mobo (hardware-wise) that is faulty? I understand it's never 100% certain, but I can't imagine what else could be wrong after having taken all previous steps.

Mind you, I will be testing the 7950 in my friends PC before purchasing a new mobo, so I can exclude the GPU problem entirely.