Initial RAM storage on new build

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I hope this isn't a stupid question. I am going to build my first computer with a Gigabyte mo/bo that will support 32GB's of RAM. Before I make the initial start of the computer upon completion, can I install 2 8GB modules of RAM, and leave the other 2 slots empty? I am asking this because eventually I will add more SSD's and more RAM and I don't want to fill the 4 RAM slots with smaller capacity modules and then later have to buy all new modules with greater capacity. Thanks for any advice on this subject!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes it's no problem to start with two sticks, on the mobo can run 1, 2, 3 or 4 sticks. If however you plan on 32GB I would gt them all at once in a single package, if you get two sets (even if same identical model) there is no guarantee the second set will play with the first. You can pull sticks right off the assembly line and have them not play together. Manufacturers test sticks and package them in order to guarantee those in a package do in fact play together.

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
That is something I didn't know. I guess I'll wait until I can afford to buy all the modules at one time. Thanks for that important information.