Freeze crash at rated frequency/timings

Kahnspooter

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I bought 2x4GB sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws RAM a few years ago and, at the time, gave up on trying to solve this problem. Now I'm at it again.

Here's the issue. These sticks are rated for 1333 MHz with timings of 7-7-7-21. However, unless I set them to 1066 MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24, my computer will completely freeze up (and the audio will loop on whatever short sound was playing at the time the crash occurred), usually within an hour of booting, and more than likely much sooner than that. Since I turn my computer off every night, I have no idea if my current RAM settings also eventually lead to such a crash.

Curiously, using each stick separately at rated specs appears unproblematic. I have run Memtest86 v4.3.7 (the best I can use with my mobo, apparently) on the sticks individually and jointly. While I haven't run the program longer than six hours for any configuration, things have appeared to be fine, and when testing both sticks at once at rated specs, I expected to see errors manifest fairly quickly, but I got nothing.

Here's my rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.4 GHz (stock 3.3 GHz, not sure why it's OC'ing a bit)
RAM: 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333 Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 rev 1.1 (BIOS version F9, the latest)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850
PSU: Corsair TX750 Enthusiast Series (750W)

The CPU and mobo are both compatible with DDR3 1333. The original version of the mobo had some issues related to USB, if I remember correctly, and it was recalled because of it. It could be that this is a similar issue and that it never got fixed, but all I can think is to mess around with my RAM. I don't have any parts to swap with to test things that way, and I don't really care to buy replacement parts that wouldn't constitute a good upgrade (also, trying not to spend anything if I can). Again, my computer runs fine as long as my RAM is underperforming -- I'm just trying to get it to work at rated specs.

EDIT: I should also note, for fuller disclosure, that my computer crashes during POST if I try to go to the boot menu. I know I've pressed F keys during POST in the past, and I think it tended to do the same with all of them that I had cause to press. Pressing DEL to go to the BIOS works just fine, however.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Kahnspooter

Reputable
May 18, 2015
It has the latest BIOS version. Also, the RAM is running at 1.5V, which is the stock setting. Thanks for the recommendation on the voltage. I'll definitely try it.

When you have them set at 1066, what speed does CPUz say they are running at? Off the top of my head, since you said your CPU is OC'ed for unknown reasons, I am guessing the base clock is too high perhaps so when you put them on 1333 they would be running out of spec.

Just a guess though.

Kahnspooter

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Here are CPU-Z screencaps from when:

BCLK: 100 MHz
Multiplier: 33 (so 33x100 MHz, even though the BIOS says it's running at 3.4 GHz)
RAM frequency: 1066 MHz (multiplier of 10.66)
RAM timings: 7-7-7-20 (so says the Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker) or 9-9-9-24 (under the Channel Timings)

Memtab.png

SPDtab.png

That is unusual. I am going to assume you have done this already, but have you done a full reset on on the motherboard (by the the clear CMOS jumper) then reflashing the latest BIOS. Then resetting again?

Seems like you have some unusual issues either with the board itself or the BIOS settings.

Does your RAM work at the 1333 JEDEC timings? (9-9-9-24)

Kahnspooter

Reputable
May 18, 2015
I flashed the BIOS from F1 (original version) to F9 (latest version), but I have not done a full reset. I'll be sure to do that tomorrow. I should reset, reflash, and then reset again? What's the purpose of resetting the second time?

The RAM works fine at 9-9-9-24, but only when at 1066 MHz, if I recall. 1333 MHz screws things up no matter what.

And I'm glad you say there's something unusual, because I sure can't make sense of the numbers I'm seeing, either.

Kahnspooter

Reputable
May 18, 2015
No change. I haven't tried the voltage "solution" that Tradesman1 mentioned.

I tried both methods of clearing the CMOS: removing the battery for at least a minute and shorting the jumpers. While they did revert some BIOS settings, the only things that changed -- ever -- were CPU and RAM frequency (and CPU temp alongside). Now, however, after doing the process you mentioned several times, I'm not sure how to replicate those slightly (and they really were slight, such as RAM running at 1330 MHz versus 1337 MHz, and the CPU running at 3396 MHz versus just over 3400 MHz) different numbers. The one thing that didn't change was my freezing problem.

Also, is clearing the CMOS supposed to revert the BIOS back to its original version? Because mine stayed at the version I'd flashed it to (the latest).

Latest posts