Looking for feedback on new PC Build

PamphileKari

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Hello!

So I'm thinking of building a new gaming PC and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it
My goal for this PC is to be able to run most newer games on max settings.

Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Rosewill THRONE-Window ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply Unit: Rosewill 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer

Also, I should mention, this is my first PC build so any advice relating to that is welcome as well.

Thank you for your time :)

PamphileKari

Reputable
May 20, 2015
I'm looking to run games at 1080p on whatever screen I may use. (I haven't picked one yet)
However I'm planning on possibly connecting my computer to an TV as well.

TofuLion

Admirable
the 980 is not needed for 1080p. you might need it for a second display, but only if using them both for graphically intensive applications (hence, dual screen gaming). other than that, you should divert more of your budget to better storage to balance your system a bit. the ASUS MAXIMUS is a very nice board but not exactly needed.

what is your overall budget (as well as country and currency)? and also your intended use, such as power a tv as well?

PamphileKari

Reputable
May 20, 2015
The problem is that I don't really know what makes a good graphics card.
Basically, what I've found is a site that allows me to compare different cards... http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+980 ...and a bunch of different people saying a bunch of different things.
For example, there are countless videos on youtube of people making "gaming computers" using multiple cards, or overclocking, or doing a bunch of other crazy stuff, saying "This is what you need nowadays"
With all that, I don't really know what exactly is 'necessary' for a gaming computer.
I guess the closest I can get (with what I know) to defining what I would want from my PC is to be able to run any game at a reasonable FPS on high graphics settings.
I'll try to give as much detail as possible for what I'm trying to achieve with this PC

Budget: 2000$
Intended use: Primarily gaming
Overclocking: No
Dual monitor: No
Connecting to an HD tv: Yes
TV size: Around 32 inches

Also, the hard drive and optical drive are from another computer. As a finished product I'll probably upgrade to an SSD and maybe a blue-ray reader, but I haven't planned all that yet

Thank you for your time, and sorry about the late reply :)

TofuLion

Admirable
i feel your pain. i was absent from the computer field for a while and recently got back into the field for my latest build (which is always being upgraded, but was built at the beginning of the year). the last time i was in the field, dual cores were just coming out. i'm a software guy anyway, so hardware was never a big interest of mine, and video cards were absolutely unnecessary to me at that time. so GPUs were always a bit confusing to me with all the specs and model numbers and brand, etc. however, over the last several months (i did research for 4 months before i made any purchases) i have gained quite a bit of knowledge on GPUs, at least on the most recent. you really cant trust sites like "videocardbench" and even less ones like "gpuboss". it's not very accurate and almost invariably will be biased towards one brand or series. the best way is to research individual cards and cross reference between multiple reviews. it can be exhaustive and redundant, but is necessary to fully understand what youre doing.

given your budget, you were on the right track. you could, however, save some money and go with something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($285.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($63.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($434.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($107.92 @ shopRBC)
Total: $1595.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-24 23:53 EDT-0400

the gtx 970 is plenty for 1080p and youll max most games with over 60 FPS. those that are poorly optimized/more demanding, minor adjustments to graphics settings will keep you at 60+. for your budget range (and resolution) the gtx 970 is the best price/performance. the 980 is something like 40% more expensive with only 15% performance increase. if your budget was lower, the r9 280X is the best price/performance, and if your resolution was higher, the r9 290 would be best. :) its confusing i know but the gtx 970 is the sweet spot for 1080p for sure, and the evga FTW ACX 2.0 is one of the best models straight out of the box, no overclocking.

4690K is more than enough for a gaming rig with a single gpu and it does overclock, so i would include a cheap after market cooler so you have the head room and options for the future. the stock cooler is garbage it doesn't deserve to be used. hence, the z97 motherboard is present in case you wish to overclock or even add a second gpu in the future. power supply is high quality and plenty of headroom for overclocking and SLI.

hope this helps.