What upgrade would most enhance performance?

domtooze

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Hey

I'm looking to replace something in my PC, and hoping to improve it's performance primarily for gaming. At the moment, it's doing around 25-35 fps in GTA V (with dips in busy moments, occasionally as low as 1-10 fps); I'm looking to give this a boost.

Currently, this is what I'm using:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: AMD R9 280

I'm inclined to either replace the processor with an up-to-date one (Intel Core i7 i7-4790K), or the GPU with an R9 290x. Depending on the option, I'd also have to replace either my mobo or PSU. (Note: I'm reluctant to overclock as I expect I'd get it wrong and break everything)

Would anybody recommend a particular option? Which would be likely to give the biggest improvement in performance?

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Looking at GTA system reqs it is your cpu that is holding you back

280 -> 290 The 290 is a fair bit better, but it's not your problem

The general non-overclock cpu of choice for that socket used to be the 8320 (I'm out of touch with my AMD-fu, I'm afraid) which won't give you much improvement either. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8320-vs-AMD-FX-6300
The 8350 is an option there as well, but not that much gain on the 8320 if you're going to be running it on stock.

That i7 certainly has better performance to your 6300, but as you rightly pointed out will mean replacing mobo as well, which certainly jacks up the price.
That K on it indicates unlocked multipliers which should be read as "OVERCLOCK ME", which you have indicated you don't want so you can go for the (cheaper) non-K version.
And unless you have requirements from this PC outside of gaming there isn't much use for that many cores/threads. An i5 will see you right. The i5-4590 is the pre-overclock choice of this month I believe.

So:
GPU-> 290 small increase for high price (it's a medium upgrade, but not in your problem area)
CPU -> 83XX small increase for medium price
CPU -> intel medium increase for really high price.

And a recommendation to check whether there is another problem. Update graphic drivers and whatnot. I mean you're just below recommended cpu spec. 1-10fps is not what I'm expecting. Try fiddling with the anti-aliassing options.