Fans run a bit loud, but not sure i'm ready for liquid cooling. Do I have any other cooling options?

cjn17

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
So I am just curious what options I have out there. My fans seem to run awfully loud all the time. My diypc shadow case has 6 built in fans. Are there any relatively cheap / easy alternatives in order to fix this minor issue?

I mean it does not bother me so much, but my old stock hp with maybe one fan runs near silent while my new gaming PC is able to be heard from the other room. Its to the point where when gaming I often wear headphones or crank up the volume.

* I am going to apologize in advance I don't have temperature numbers to give you as that PC is out of commission as the faulty graphics card had to be sent in.

Six fans are going to be (more or less) six times as loud as one fan, all else being equal.

Given the price of the case, I would say the fans you have in there are fairly cheap which makes them louder.

Get a pair of decent quiet 120 mm fans (Noctua are very good, though I never got them because the brown colour scheme makes me barf), take the others out, put one in the front and one in the back and take it from there. If temperatures go up too much then you can try adding another one in the front, and if still high maybe one in the top. You shouldn't really need to go to six fans - I run an i5 and R9 290 in a micro-ATX case with one 200 mm fan at the front and two 140 mm fans at the back and it stays pretty quiet and cool, although as with all things, it's relative.

cjn17

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

Do you know if those fans would fit in the same spots as the old fans in the case? It just seems as though the fans currently in the case have very specific spots for everything to screw in place and the fans behind the front panel pulling air into the computer seems a bit snug as is.