Adding 2nd Graphics Card: Which to Add, and What Other Components Will I Need?

gwpotter511

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Good morning - I'm hoping to add a second graphics card to my computer and am hoping to solicit suggestions and feedback on:

• what card to add, and;
    what adjustments to the rest of my setup are necessary

For these purposes, I was considering something in the GTX 9XX range - although I'm open to a simple single upgrade if that makes more sense.

My current arrangement is as follows:

• Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 motherboard
    GeForce GTX 770 Graphics Card (SLI Supported)
    8GB RAM
    Intel Core i5 4670K CPU
    Segate 550W Power Source

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

What exactly do you mean by 'add a second card'?

If you're talking about SLI, you need a card with a GTX770 processor (and ideally the identical model to your current card). You can't mix and match processors.

Looking at prices, you'd be better off buying a GTX970 and selling on your 770 than buying an additional 770. The GTX970 will perform about the same as 2x770, no SLI issues and (if your current card is 2GB) you'll get double the memory (since SLI doesn't double it).

gwpotter511

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Thanks very much Moonstick, I was referring to SLI - and that's very helpful. So SLI only allows you to run a duplicate of the existing card, correct?

In that case, simply upgrading the card is the way to go. Do you see a conflict between a 970 and my existing motherboard and power supply (posted in OP)? What about with a 980?

Thanks!

Yes, SLI needs a duplicate card. You'll also need a new PSU if you go down that route.

I don't know about your PSU (did you mean SeaSonic?) but the GTX970 uses a lot less power than the 770 so if you're fine now you should still be fine. Your motherboard will work with any new card as well.

A 970 is powerful enough to handle anything at 1080p and 1440p (though games get more demanding all the time). A GTX980 is probably not worth the extra unless you're going to game at 4K, but then again if the money makes no odds to you it's not going to hurt to buy the faster card. Again the 980 uses less power than the 770 so you should be okay with your current PSU.