Connecting a second fan to my radiator increased the noise by an extreme amount at high fan speed.

Kidkill

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I had an issue with cooling my cpu a while ago and decided to get a new water-cooler, then i got a couple of fans for it. I don't know the policy on products on here but I guess the important part about them is that they are less than 30 dBA.

When I was tinkering around I noticed that when one fan is plugger in, taking in air from the back of the chassi into the radiator. It was pretty much noiseless regardless of stress. IE at 40-100% speed it was pretty quiet.

Then I plug in the other one, on the other side of the radiator, like so: ->|-> where arrows are fans and the line is the radiator. I noticed that the sound level had increased a noticeable amount on low speed, and at full speed it sounds really bad, like a high frequency whining. The fans themselves are not defective. The issue only comes up when they are placed on both sides of the heatsinks as shown.

If anyone has any ideas as to why this is or how to solve this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Kidkill

Reputable
May 22, 2015
They are pwm, no splitter. They are connected to the mobo since having them connected to the splitter from the cooler puts them at 100% all the time, I've got fan control software and they are both synced rpm-wise.
Although i don't see how this is relevant since the question isn't: "Why are my fans loud?" It is: Why does having them both on the radiator make my system so much louder.

To clarify, if i have both fans plugged in but only one on the radiator, they are both quiet enough regardless of rpm. But when BOTH are on the radiator they get very loud at higher rpms.

Then they are not good fans for a push-pull configuration and they are creating some turbulance or wind-noise. Could be because they aren't off a splitter. Even a small variation in voltage for a pwm fan can make differences.

Really, there is little to no difference in running 2 fans anyways in a push-pull.