Looking to buy monitor for longevity. What resolution to get?

cunnipa

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I want to upgrade my primary monitor and use my current monitor as a secondary screen. I play some first person shooter games, but mostly strategy and moba and a little WoW.

I want to make sure that what I get will last me several years. I will be upgrading my computer in a few months, so don't worry about my video card. I'm thinking 24 inches is about the right size for my desktop if I want to use 2 monitors. I'm not looking for a 1 ms 144 Hz gaming monitor, and don't need g-synch. I've been looking at some sweet narrow bezel monitors from Dell, and am wondering which I should get.

My questions:

1) Should I stick with 1920 x 1080 or upgrade to a higher resolution? Dell has a 25 inch 2560 x 1440 WQHD model that is intriguing. Dell also has a 24 inch 3840 x 2160 monitor, but I really think that's overkill. I'm not enthusiastic about buying pixels I cannot see. I wonder if I will be kicking myself down the line for not getting the WQHD model. I would love to see it with my own eyes, but they don't have one at my local Best Buy, of course.

2) I'm thinking IPS rather than TN. I don't play in the dark, so I don't think the IPS glow will bother me, and the better color fidelity and viewing angles will be nice. Any contrary opinions?

I believe you are one of very few that understands the relationship between pixels and distance! :) How far away do you plan to sit away from your monitor? Visual acuity is something to consider but use www.isthisretina.com and report back where you ended up in terms of resolution/distance/size. Cheers.

cunnipa

Reputable
May 23, 2015
I like that resource. It gave me 37 inches for the 24 inch FHD monitor and 29 inches for the 25 inch WQHD monitor. I think when I'm gaming, I'm usually about 36 inches from the screen but get closer occasionally. I may spring for the WQHD monitor. No way I'm getting the 3840 x 2160 monitor.

There you go. In your case the 2.5k monitor would be the best choice. 1080 monitor is your sweetspot when not leaning forward but saw how easy that was? Now we only have to worry about what panel type and refresh rate you want. :) I personally recommend a 75 Hz IPS Panel. What's your budget?

cunnipa

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Budget isn't an issue, but I try to avoid getting bleeding edge hardware. You reach a point of diminishing returns. I would probably spend less than $500 US.