Which one should I pick?

mad_cat

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Hi.

Noise and performance? Which would you recommend?

WD VelociRaptor 250GB (10000RPM, 64MB, 3.5", SATA 6GB/s (SATA 3.0)) - 84.03 $

VS.

WD Black2Dual drive 120 GB SSD + 1 TB H (2.5", 9.5mm, SATA 6GB/s) - 110.61 $

Hey there, mad_cat.

It really depends on what you plan on using the drive for and your budget. If you don't mind the 50% less storage space of the SSD of the dual drive and it fits your budget, then I'd say - go for WD Black². It will boost your OS performance significantly, plus you get the extra 1TB HDD storage capacity along with it. Note that you'll probably need a mounting kit for your case, as the drive is 2.5", in order to fit it properly.
On the other hand the WD VelociRaptor would be a bit noisier but it has a lot higher performance than the HDD part in the WD Black² dual drive. It's best to use it for high end gaming, 3D rendering, digital image creation/editing and all sorts of demanding software.
Both drives come with a 5-year limited warranty. You can check them out here:
WD VelociRaptor
WD Black² Dual Drive

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Boogieman_WD

mad_cat

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

Hi

*_Well The WD got sold out at the evening in Sunday. But I haven't heard good things about that Dual Drive SSD. I have read in reviews that it have a bit bad SSD performance. I might go for a 250GB SSD.

*_Also read that ssd price will go down this year, might not be true, but about 2 years ago a 120GB costed 900DK, now its on 700. And other cheaper SSD's has come as well.

*_But I think I will save up for the test-winning Samsung 850 Pro. Might be at 860, when I get money.

But thanks for answering my Question.

Well the WD Black² Dual Drive is created specifically for laptop users with just one HDD slot, who have no other option to get both an SSD and an HDD in their computers. I have one at home that works perfectly fine. It is normal for the SSD part to be outperformed by some SSDs, but again it will be faster than a WD VelociRaptor + the added part of the extra storage capacity provided by the HDD.
Getting an SSD for your OS and a separate HDD as a storage drive is indeed a pretty good option as well, so at the end of it all - it's up to your personal preference. :)

Cheers!

DivineRamza

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Honestly, I always go for the bigger drive. Sure, SSD is neat, but they cost more and...meah.

Of course, if you're going to be juggling HD's and you might drop it, then yeah, the platter drive is bad for you.

But HDD's really aren't that loud anymore. I can't hear my 2TB drive in my computer.