Got a crappy build and I found a good offer, but I need an opinion please.

BG24

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Hi, I don't post much here but I need a good opinion on this. I use my PC mainly for school stuff such as photo and video editing, rendering, etc and to play some World of Warcraft / League of Legends / Heroes of the Storm and skype call with friends when I have the time. My current PC hasn't been upgraded in around 5 years, and it freezes a lot, couple of bluescreens there and then, and can't handle more than 4 tasks, so it's a piece of crap and my current components are these:

AMD Phenom 8750 Triple Core Processor ~2.4GHz
4GB RAM DDR2 (yes you read that right)
Nvidia GeForce GT610 (got this cause my GTX260 broke down)
750w Power Supply
and a crappy ASROCK motherboard.

I'm a student and financially I can't buy a "great" PC but a local store has this offer for the Dell XPS 8700 which allows me to pay monthly payments which I can afford (€56 a month for 2 years). The components for this build are (as listed on their website):

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (3.6Ghz 8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel
1TB SATA 3 Hard Drive (7200rpm)
16X DVD-RW Optical Drive
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745
Dell Wireless N1703 + Bluetooth 4.0
Windows 8.1 (64BIT)

Now I know that these aren't the best components but they are a HUGE upgrade to what I currently have. I just want a PC that lets me do what I do comfortably and without any trouble and run those games smoothly (doesn't need to be on high graphics). Shall I go for it?

Thanks for your time guys, you're awesome :)

yeskay

Distinguished

Given the circumstances, I would say you very well can go for that new build.

- The processor and plenty of RAM would certainly do awesome job in areas of video editing, rendering, gaming etc.
- The graphics is a pretty decent one if not the best. With 4GB VRAM should even handle latest games like GTA V, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt etc @720/1080p with medium-high graphical fidelity. So this card should handle the games you've mentioned with ease.

Overall a pretty good deal and build. You will certainly see a sea of improvement in performance comparing to your present build. And I would call your comment "I know that these aren't the best components", as an understatement.

€1300 for that computer is a lot of money. What APR are they financing you at?

I understand not having much money to work with. But depending on the interest rate you're working with there may be a better way to finance a computer. Or you can always try and by a used machine.