144Hz TN vs 60Hz IPS

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I'm wondering if it would be more enjoyable to have something like this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-24gm77, a 144Hz TN Monitor or someting like this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2769vm, a 60Hz IPS Monitor. I will mostly be playing not too demanding games, non-competitively.

Any help is appreciated :)

Solution
Use Youtube with a grain of salt though.

If the video is recorded directly through the computer, it will not record the difference between TN and IPS.

If the video is recorded through an external recorder, it will have the effects of both the recorder itself and any monitor calibration the recorder may have done. Also recorders tend to record contrast quite horribly.

But I will say that TN vs IPS is very opinionated argument, since you are the one that will be looking at the monitor for god knows how long, it's definitely a good idea to see the difference.

However, one thing I do want to warn you: there are only a very small handful of TN panels that are true 8 bit colours (all other TN's are 6 bit with dithering), while there are...

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I would say go with the 27 inch IPS. If your not going to play competitively you won't really use the 144hz, not to mention you need alot of gpu power to use that refresh rate at high details in modern games.

Tchota

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Unless you like to watch movies sitting far from the monitor, a 24'' monitor is more than enough in my opinion, you dont need the a 27'' monitor, specially if it has only 1080p resolution.

Monitor, like computer case, is more about personal preferences than anything else. The best way to know what you want is to go to a store that have monitor on display and check how they work, and how the image looks like. But even if the image of a monitor is not so great at the store there is always the possibility of a bad calibration, something that can be fixed at home.

And get 144fps with an r 290 you will probably need to lower setting (at lest for titles from 2014 and 2015.

mesamitch

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
i just got the Asus Rog swift and i have been using IPS panels for ages

i am a little disappointed in the TN panel because colors do look 1 million times better on IPS
but when playing a competitively it's 1 million times better to have the quick 144 hertz TN panel

so if you are a casual gamer i would definitely go 60 hertz IPS

but Acer just made a IPS 144 hertz gsync monitor if that helps you the model is XB270HU
i would of got the Acer if Frys electronics carried it but they did not and i had a gift card there

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-bprz-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00UPVXDA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432603660&sr=1-1&keywords=xb270hu

chenw

Honorable
27" 1080p looks too grainy for my liking, 24" would be a more ideal 1080p screen size.

IPS is indeed nice for non-competitive gaming, but IMHO it is completely lost with graininess of 27" 1080p. I would try and get 24" 1080p IPS.

It wont be more enjoyable on a TN panel regardless of refresh rate. I love IPS displays, IPS TV and monitor and I couldnt be happier. While most people love the high refresh rate, since you said you wont be playing anything competetively then I suggest you go with the IPS, in worst case get the 75 Hz panel if the 60 Hz doesnt look as attractive. As for size, resolution is directly related to size. The higher resolution the closer you must sit to enjoy the extra pixels. The further away you sit the smaller things will get on your screen. Higher resolution displays (above 1080) belongs only in the cinema or large TV sets at home.

chenw

Honorable
It depends on personal taste, but I did decide that I am never going to use a 4k screen. Way too many problems at that resolution (performance and UI scaling issues), and that it's more ideally suited for large monitors (as in 30" or more), sadly 27" is the maximum I can accept.

My choice in Swift is slightly longwinded, but in short, there weren't any IPS monitors that could come close to what I wanted on a new monitor. I came from a 27" 1080p IPS monitor (VX2770-SMH), and when I was planning on a new monitor, I wanted as much upgrade to every aspect of the monitor as possible. Unfortunately one of those was G-Sync, so options were limited: Asus RoG Swift, I had no other options.

I didn't want to compromise on G-Sync (it was my primary reason to even contemplate a monitor change in the first place), I really wanted to try it because it was new tech (I am sucker for new tech), and it was an upgrade to literally everything to my old monitor barring it was TN as opposed to IPS.

I made that compromise.

After using that monitor for a while, here were my conclusions:

1. 1080p 27" was far too grainy at my sitting distance, and I had to sit back on my chair to alleviate that graininess, which completely eliminated the point of getting a 27" 1080p monitor in the first place (would have been better to just get 24" 1080p so you have a wider range to 'sittable' distance).

2. Monitor colours out of the box is far more important than colours after calibration, because most games simply ignore any calibration you do, making it a completely wasted effort. Thus IPS is better in that regard at the very least.

3. I recently received Dell U2412M monitors for work (1200p 24" IPS) and I was sorely reminded at how much better an IPS could look better than TN, however given the choices of monitors available at the time, I had no choices. I didn't think I would want to sacrifice both G-sync AND high refresh rates for IPS, since those were the two biggest things I wanted to try in a monitor.

Due to this, I have firmly decided that I will never consider an non-Asus/MSI product again, as they are the only companies who releases top end gear in Taiwan, ironically.

My ideal monitor though remains elusive: 24" 1080p 144hz IPS G-Sync. 1080p offers a lower playable resolution than 1440p (I cannot tolerate upscaling blur), 24" should remove much of the graininess I see on 27". I just hope it'll be Asus who releases this monitor, not BenQ, AOC or Acer.

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Do you notice the extra Hz? (Between 60Hz and 144Hz?

mesamitch

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

oh of course dude everything is so super smooth
a lot of people on here for some strange reason claim you can not see past 60 fps but they are crazy lol

okay have you ever seen a 120 / 140 hertz tv at best buy or frys or any electronic store and everything looks super smooth ???

it works the same way for monitors

it's super awesome
the only down fall is TN Panels they are definitely not as good as IPS colors wise

but for some reason in video games you don't realize the color difference as much as when being in windows

chenw

Honorable
My opinion is that if you play games where there is no major or sudden movement of the screen, you probably won't notice it, but when you are playing with fast movement games (such as FPS or TPS), then you probably will.

But I will freely admit it could also be G-sync's doing. It does seem to make games less juttery.

I notice that colour shift on the Swift is most evident when I am looking at a white page, but most of other time the color is subtle enough that I don't notice it.

Funny, I feel it's one of the few things where if you actively try to notice it, you will, but otherwise you probably won't.

Also, I would like to take back my previous post about Acer, last week they have annouced plans to release the monitor in Taiwan for the same price as Swift, so I might get this monitor when I get my next bonus

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Quite a few of the comments seem opinionated so I think i might go to an electronics store and see what I like better. Can anyone recommend a good store (UK - East Coast of Scotland if possible)?

chenw

Honorable
Use Youtube with a grain of salt though.

If the video is recorded directly through the computer, it will not record the difference between TN and IPS.

If the video is recorded through an external recorder, it will have the effects of both the recorder itself and any monitor calibration the recorder may have done. Also recorders tend to record contrast quite horribly.

But I will say that TN vs IPS is very opinionated argument, since you are the one that will be looking at the monitor for god knows how long, it's definitely a good idea to see the difference.

However, one thing I do want to warn you: there are only a very small handful of TN panels that are true 8 bit colours (all other TN's are 6 bit with dithering), while there are quite a selection of 8 bit colour IPS panels. The only 8 bit TN panels I can think of are Asus RoG Swift and BenQ XL2730Z.

If ever in doubt, get IPS, you are less likely to be displeased with it than you may be with a TN.

Solution

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Thanks, I had a look around and I don't think i'm going to bother with 120Hz or 140Hz for just now (Until you can get a 144Hz IPS :)), I don't think my PC would be able to run a consistent 100+fps with the graphics settings that I want to use.

chenw

Honorable
Well there are some 120hz IPS already, such as Overlord's Tempest, Acer's XB270HU (pricey) or Asus's incoming MG279Q, unfortunately all of these are 1440p as well.

I'd say the benefits of high refresh rate screen isn't just limited to how many frames your screen display, but how resistant your screen is to variance in frame time.

Without going into details, I'd reckon V-sync on 120hz screen will less juttery than a 60hz since there is more opportunities for frames to display themselves.

HappyHambo

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

This isn't really related but i've changed my mind on my perfect monitor - http://www.blurbusters.com/acer-predator-xr341ck-34-144hz-g-sync-ultrawide/