Bad AMD Build? AMD FX-9370 & R9 290X Low FPS.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Morning all!

Its been a year since I built my computer and I'm beginning to think I screwed up the build.

Here is a list of my components:

CPU: AMD FX-9370 + H80i CPU Cooler
MoBo: ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
GPU: 4GB AMD RADEON™ R9 290X

Most games even on medium/high settings run at about 30-40 FPS. I ran the Heaven Benchmark software on ultra-settings and that sat between 40-50 FPS.

I have read over the forum to try and figure out what is possibly causing the bottleneck and I have a suspicion it may be my CPU. Everywhere review I have read about the FX-9370 says it’s a bit of a crappy card and how cheaper cards (FX-8320) have better performance.

I am about to upgrade to a 144hz screen, however if my build is only giving me between 40-50 FPS it’s kinda pointless. So any pointers to help boost FPS would be welcome!

dasulman

Honorable
what resolution are you playing at? the fx 9370 is a strong processor its just considered not price:performance efficient as a whole. it should easily take a 2 290X in crossfire easily without issue. that leaves the 290X as the main issue - check and update the drivers maybe?

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

I'm currently playing at 1080p.

Well, call me a noob but I haven't checked drivers for my 290X since I installed the AMD Gaming Evolved app, as it checked my drivers each time I start-up my desktop. I guess I'll remove all the current drivers and reinstall them directly from the AMD website.

Just kicked of Wolfenstein: New Order (probably the hardest running game I own) and am hitting 40-50 FPS on ultra settings. No point buying a 144hz screen if I cant get over 60 FPS =(

What games have you tried running? (other than the Wolfenstein)
Also, what are your settings exactly in the Wolfenstein.

30-40fps doesn't sound quite right for those parts. So something is wrong.

Did you monitor the CPU with AOD to make sure that it doesn't throttle? Asus provide this note: "Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)" How are you cooling the motherboard's VRMs to ensure they won't need to throttle the CPU?

Yeah, I would, like GhislainG said, check your temperatures to see if there might be any throttling. You motherboard should have something in the AI Suite that should allow you to monitor all of the temperature probes on your motherboard.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

I'm a bit of a noob and don't entirely understand your post... that being said, I have a Corsair H80i Hydro with Arctic compound paste cooling my processor. To be honest I have not checked the general heat of my Processor during game play, I'll check it tonight when I finish work.

What games have you tried running? (other than the Wolfenstein)
Also, what are your settings exactly in the Wolfenstein.

30-40fps doesn't sound quite right for those parts. So something is wrong.

The only fairly new game I can play which doesn't seem to be affected by the build is Skyrim (I know its quite an old game now), at the FPS hit 60 and stay there.

I think I'm gonna have to tear apart my PC and reassemble it, installing each components driver as I go.

I don't think you need to go THAT far.
Just list all the games you have tested.
Maybe it's just the games.
Skyrim you should be able to play all maxed out, so at what graphics are you playing it?

Also, use something like NZXT CAM 2.0 to track the temperatures (really like that program, you can have a game overlay though it's sometimes hard to get to work)

kwa-e

Admirable
Use AMD overdrive to check if the CPU is close to throttling during benchmarking,

I'd also recommend doing a fresh install with a new set of drivers as well.

You need to cool the VRMs; a water cooler doesn't help. Did you install a fan to cool them? You won't know if that's the issue until you use AOD to check if the CPU throttles or not. A CPU can throttle because it gets too hot or because the motherboard's VRMs get too hot.

kwa-e

Admirable
VRM throttling is also a recurring problem with AiO coolers due to the lack of air not passing and cooling the VRM heatsinks.

Check if the processor clocks down during gaming, may very well be the source of this problem.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Ok so I've uninstalled and reinstalled the most up to date drivers for both my GPU and CPU, although nothing else.

I ran Heaven Benchmark on Ultra settings, Extreme Tessellation, 1080p.
My CPU got to roughly 35c and not much hotter, however the cores weren't doing much.
However, my GPU was running constantly at 100% and hit 90c almost instantly. Could it be my GPU holding me back?

here are some Pics.
GPU%20Heat_zpsuavuakc3.png
CPU%20Heat_zpsdkhl3ofo.png

You need to cool the VRMs; a water cooler doesn't help. Did you install a fan to cool them? You won't know if that's the issue until you use AOD to check if the CPU throttles or not. A CPU can throttle because it gets too hot or because the motherboard's VRMs get too hot.

On top of the water cooler taking care of the CPU, i have three other fans; one extracting from the top, and two pulling air from the front and side.
I guess this would help cool the MoBo?

Your gpu is overheating and most likely gets throttled.
This lowers the performance.

Get some pressurized air in a can, open the case and take out the gpu. Then clean the gpu heatsink with the pressurized air.

If cleaning off the heatsink doesn't help, you'll have to find a way to divert airflow to keep your GPU cooler.

Alternatively, you may install an aftermarket heatsink on your GPU. But this may cost $60 and over.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

To be honest the drop in FPS is killing me and I'm on the verge of completely gutting my system to replace the problematic components.
It sound like your all on the right track though, the 90c+ temp on the GPU is likely throttling it.

I did a little research and came across the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III, should be easy enough to fit. Do you guys this it'll be worth it? seems to be getting good reviews.

Well, in gpu of R9 290X grade, it should be worth it. While you're at it, you can swap the thermal paste. (Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme is one of the best one for the job)

Just keep in mind: most gpu manufacturers void the warranty if you swap the cooler. So check that from the manufacturer. Either their forums or support.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Ok I'm gonna go for it. I'll purchase Arctic Accelero Xtreme III today and probably fit it some time next week. I'm gonna leave this threat without a solution for now, once I've tested the new cooler I'll let you all know if the temp drops.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Yeah I've decided I'm either going to upgrade my GPU cooling with either a ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV or a NZXT G10 GPU (+ Water Cooler).
I'm tempted to go for the water cooler, only my GPU is already burning away at 90c and I'm not sure how much air cooling would help.

Well, the reference cooler is pretty terrible. The aftermarket solutions by the other brands are certainly better; they're often around 70C, if they are worth their salt.

This site did a review of the Arctic Accelero Xtreme III when slapped onto a R9 290 (non-X) card. I think it was getting into the upper 60s.

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

I ran a few more tests and their outcome is very peculiar.

Darksiders 2
90-100 FPS =/ on a 60Hz monitor
100% Load

Metro Last Light
Average 30 FPS (but dropped to 5 at some points)
Load was all over the place

Medieval Chivalry
Solid 60 FPS

Dragon Age Inquisition
40-50 FPS

Not a great performance!
To make it worse it seems the AMD R9 290X is built to run at 92oc, so reducing the head might not even help.

Think I might just sell the card and buy another before I invest money in the 920X.

=(

alees90

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015

Hey dude. I've got precisely the same rig as you have and I Am experiencing the same scenario. Expected way more outcome and performance compared to what I Am getting right now, which is riddiculous. I can't play lot of titles. Far Cry 4 unplayable, Crysis 3 unplayable, GTA V unplayable, Dying light....... all the same, I have no idea what to do anymore with it. Have you came up with any solution whatsoever?

Your thermal margins are less than 30`C and the CPU isn't that busy. What are they when you run an application like Prime95 Small FFTs? Close to 0°C or does the CPU throttle and only runs at 1.4 GHz?

UnionJack1989

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Hey guys,

Sorry been caught up with work.

I ended up selling the card and purchasing a GTX 970.

I decided it wasn't worth the Money and Risk of purchasing an aftermarket cooler and buggering up the card.

I am having no problems at all on any of the games when using the GTX 970. I expect the R9 290X throttling issues is down to the heat of the card. After some research I found that the R9 290X is build to run at 95c, so I am unsure if it would have increased the performance if I were to cool it down.

I guess I'm gonna have to start turning the heating on during the winter.