Building new PC. Tell me what to change :)

MrWoozie

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hi guys. I'm building new PC. I know a bit about PC's components, but I need Your experience to build the best I can with my budget (or maybe a bit more ;) ).

Approximate Purchase Date: this/next month

Budget Range: about 1200USD (4500PLN)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: working (programming, sometimes movie rendering), gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (maybe x2)

My choose of parts:
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core
(I thing its best choice now, what do U think?)
EDIT: Do I need extra (not stock box) cooling for this CPU if use without OC?

Motherboard
MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150
(I like MSI motherboards, but if there is something better I can change)

Memory
G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400
(I read that's one of the best memory, is it? Will it work with full speed (2400)?)

Video Card
Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX
(STRIX because I like 0db feature, 970 because 980 is too expensive, but not as much better then 970...)

Case
Zalman H1 ATX Full Tower
(I like AHV mode making PC running silent when cool)

Power Supply
Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX
(Something better in this price)

I have HDD, but also want to buy SSD for operating OS and some games, apps (so 250GB+).
I think about Plextor one...

That's all, what do U think I can change to make my build better?

Cheers.

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
if you're going to be just playing games at the minute anything over 8gb is a bit unnecessary for ram and also 2400 ram also doesnt make a difference in terms of speed, personally I think 1600mhz ram 8gb will be just fine, I have included a youtube video showing that higher ram speeds dont really effect gaming performance at all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

so I reckon if you save a little money on the ram(which if you really want you could get another 8gb in the future to make it 16gb, but I really dont think you need it right now), you could spend the money saved on a better gpu or monitor or what ever else you feel could be better although so far the parts you have picked sound awesome!

hope this helps :)

MrWoozie

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Every advice helps me ;) I know that many "numbers" don't change anything.

I think instead of 2400 I will take G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600 2x8GB.

Or maybe something from Kingston or Crucial? I don't know what's the best choice now. Long time ago I was using GEIL memory... but that's old times :D

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Yeah! I'm using Kingston Hyper X Beast ram which is brilliant and they look awesome but to be honest my advice would be to go for the ram that you like that is the cheapest as long as you get a set of 2 you'l be fine, at the time I was buying my ram hyper x was the cheapest ram I could afford whilst still being a decent pair so i went with it and they have been fine since! :)

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

Honestly the rest of the part you have picked are all awesome,
the zalman h1 case is nice, as you mentioned about the cooling of the i7 4970 cooling I would argue if you are going to be playing games all the time I would suggest an after market cooler, but nothing crazy like a water cooler just something to keep it at nice temps, although a stock cooler will be fine in games it will still be hotter than an aftermarket cooler and the rule of thumb is the hotter a component runs the quicker it will die (obviously the expected life of a cpu is still years and years but it is nice to have that peace of mind you are cooling it best as possible and I own a zalman cnps5x cooler which only cost me £15 which in the US is probably around 25 bucks

the motherboard is beautiful! I wouldn't change it to be honest, the memory which we already discussed 1600mhz will be fine and save you a bit of money which you could spend on the after market cooler?

the power supply is a solid choice although I have seen the 970 run on a 500w psu its always safe to go 100-150w above to be safe, if your psu wasn't enough you could potentially fry every component, so the rm650 is a great and safe choice and the fact it has modular cables will make your pc much neater

as for the hdd I would definitely use an ssd like you said, it just completes the build and makes everything soooooooooo much faster!

Hope this helps and don't worry you'll have a killer setup! :)

MrWoozie

Reputable
May 28, 2015
PC I have now I've build 7 YEARS AGO :D That was a killer setup with... NVIDIA 9600GT :D
And it was no problem to play GTA IV, all Crysis games etc.
But now I think its time for changes ;)
Thx for Your help :)