Should I upgrade my CORE I3 or buy a Graphic card only? FOR GAMING PC HIGH SETTING LOW BUDGET

Eleven_minutes

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Hello, everyone.

I am planning to build a gaming PC or convert my current PC into a gaming rig.
Please suggest me the best possible upgradation in a limited budget.

Currently I have:

Rating: 4.2 Windows Experience in graphics, and 5.7 in performance.

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 -2100 CPU 3.10GHz.

Memory (RAM) - 2.00GB Kingston

System type - 32 Bit Operating System Windows 7

Graphics - Intel HD graphics 2000

HDD - 500GB

Monitor - LG 19inch 1600 x 900 resolution.

Power supply - 450 WATTS (which I am planning to upgrade to 650 Corsair)

Now I want to play games in HD, High quality with good FPS, currently I get 25 to 30 fps in Call of Duty 3 on normal settings at 1600 x 900 resolution but FPS constantly drops to 2-3fps.

Now, if I have to play games in High settings and HD, should I upgrade my processor if I should upgrade my processor then what processor and what other components should I exchange.

Or

Should I just add a graphic card to R9 270 or GTX 750 would work, or the appropriate graphic card for the current CPU.

Please suggest me the best solution in the lowest budget I can in order to play the games as desired.

Thanks..

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you don't have a discrete gxf card now, that should be the very first thing you should add. The hyper-threaded dual core can hold its own with either of those cards you mentioned. The R9-270 being the best.

Eleven_minutes

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks for answering, but do you think I would be able to play and get 60+ constant FPS, if I add that graphic card with my current configuration?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on the game, the settings in-game, and if you are playing SP or MP, it's possible, yes. But you'd have a better chance of attaining that with a faster gfx card. The i3-2100 can keep up with a R9-280 or GTX 960 w/o major bottleneck.

Keep in mind, the magic "60 fps" is not needed for smooth gaming. Anything over 30 fps is smooth gaming to most people, myself included.

There's no magic way to get high fps in the majority of games with full eye candy on the cheap. The weakest part of the current setup is the gpu, the igpu isn't enough really for most games and it shares your already limited supply of 2gb system memory. A 270 or the gtx 750ti (being it's a low power card) would both be a lot better for games. Freeing up the 2gb of ram will be a side effect of that and also help. Next I'd suggest upping your ram to 4 or 8gb if you can, 2gb is pretty low system memory for smooth performance. The minute you run out of ram and the os has to hit the swap file on the hard drive your performance is going to really tank and everything will slow up.

Eleven_minutes

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
So please suggest me the best solution for HD games, do you suggest I should upgrade RAM and GRAPHIC CARD or
Should I just sell this setup and make a new one?
The whole point is to get a lag free higher fps game in HD or atleast 1600 x 900 settings on medium or high settings.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would start with the gfx card. You're going to need it anyway. Get the fastest your budget will allow. This R9-270X is at a good price now at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202050
Since you will be getting a 650W PSU, I feel comfortable suggesting that card. The 450W PSU you have would be a little light for it, and the card requires 2 x 6 pin connectors.
I think it will make you happy if 30 fps minimum at high settings at 1600x900 is your goal.