Please rate and review my new PC build

2legit2quit

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Hey guy's and gals. I'm heading to the shop in a few days to pick up the components for my new PC and would just like a sort or rate and review. Let me know if you'd change anything. Budget is not really a factor but i'm trying to keep it under $2500CDN so here it is:

Going to be used for gaming at 1080, streaming, torrenting, media server, renderer(very little).

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/NR9yrH

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry I forgot that I will eventually be putting in a 2nd 970 or maybe even 2 980s at some point in the future. Will 750W be enough for that?

2legit2quit

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Thank you for the response CTurbo. I forgot to say that the psu is indeed the EVGA G2 and the Cooler is actually the H100i GTX model. I couldn't find them in the list of parts :/

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The EVGA G2 psus are great and have a 10yr warranty so good choice. Why do you want an expensive cpu cooler? Are you going for maximum overclock? The i7 already runs at 4.4ghz. It's a waste of money IMO. You could add a huge hdd or double your ssd storage with that money.

2legit2quit

Reputable
May 29, 2015

I haven't really decided if I'm going to overclock this yet. What cooler would you recommend?

kwa-e

Admirable
If you are considering overclocking the i7 by a large degree In the future the NH-D15 and TC14PE are good choices, Performs nearly as well as the H100i and is cheaper.

2legit2quit

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Thanks for the reply guys. I was actually looking at those air coolers ( specifically the NH-D15) and from what I have been reading, those large air coolers put lots of strain on the motherboard causing things like cracks and warping. What are your thoughts on going with these large air coolers as oppose to the liquid?

andreaszero

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
The NH-D15 in my opinion is so big that it affects the case airflow in a badway. It is a performance cooler, it's just that it's too big. I have the H100i with aftermarket Corsair SP120s on it and I'm more than happy.

kwa-e

Admirable
Large coolers will be fine on expensive motherboards as they are generally thicker than the budget ones, and should hold up fine through the years.

If considering AIO water the swiftech's are the only sensible options here from a price/performance perspective. Swiftechs use copper rads which are close to the performance you can get on a custom loop. Everything else has aluminum fins on their rads and they barely dissipate heat any better than a good air cooler.

2legit2quit

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Thank again for the reply CTurbo. I've done a lot of research on cooling the 4790k and people are saying that cheaper air cooling solutions will cause the cpu to heat up to 90c at %100 load during stress testing whereas the water cooler/premium air coolers keep it around 50c. That's why I was more interested in those cooling solutions.