Is it worth taking my desktop PC to University?

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
In September I'll be heading off to University, and I can't decide whether to take my PC or not. Most people would easily say no and just settle with a casual laptop, but for me my PC is something I use heavily, especially for games which is one of my hobbies in spare time. My course is also computing based, so in some cases I might need the high spec, and I've grown very accustomed to working on dual monitors.

On the other hand the University will have computing facilities (although not in my room of course), and unless I get insurance leaving a full tower gaming PC in my room might be risky, not to mention moving the thing will be a lot of effort.

Nonetheless I'll have to get myself a cheap laptop for portability to and from classes/lectures, but I just don't know if I could cope using a tiny laptop screen daily with a much lower spec. As sad as it sounds I do enjoy using my PC, and I'd be without any games during my time at University. Hopefully this doesn't make me look snobby, I know University requires sacrifices, I'm just unsure whether it's justifiable or not.

What do you guys think? And sorry for the long post.

Waldo Renley

Reputable
May 28, 2015
It seems as though it is indispensable to you... I would take it with you, seeing as you enjoy games and don't want to work on a cramped screen. As for safety why don't you make a habit of locking up your room? If you have a room mate get him in on it too. When you get there, put your PC in a place that can be covered by something so people can't see it when peaking in. As for it being a hassle to bring? Psh. Another point... If you spent a lot of money on a computer, why waste it by not using it? There's a finite amount of time where your computer will be high end... so use it all effectively.

yosimba2000

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Sure, go for it! But you need to be honest: do you have self control?

If you don't that, desktop will be death knell of your grades. Set your priorities straight. Homework and studies come first, and games should be secondary. But of course, nothing wrong with splurging once in a while.