wiring-config : 3 pin fans : 4 pin mobo : front panel blocked

zug234zwang

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
mobo: gigabyte ga-h97-d3h, which has 3 sys_fan outlets (1, 2, and 3), all of which are 4 pin

case: nzxt source 210 elite

1. I mistakenly bought several 3 pin fans, with no adapters. I would like to
connect them together, and simultaneously convert the connection to 4 pin. This way they can all (in effect) connect to sys_fan 1. What type of adapter(s) are needed (specific urls would be great)?

2. For ease of maintenance, I want to put one of the 3 pin fans on the left side panel and connect it (by itself) to sys_fan 2, with sys_fan 3 held in reserve. What type of adapter merely converts the 3 pin to 4 pin?

Note: Since I'm going to run them all at "full", I don't care about the loss of
functionality converting 3 pin to 4 pin, re the Bios specifying "partial" speed.

3. I will use 8 fans: 2 each on the front, top, and bottom, and 1 each on the left and back. Unfortunately, the case's front bezel (panel) has no venting for the front side fans; there is about a 1/2 inch airway between the front fans and the front bezel. All other airways are fine.

Two of the fans, the back and one of the top, are pre-wired-configured; these two can not be easily altered. The case's documentation provides a configuration diagram which suggests having air come in the front and the bottom, and go out the left, back, and top.

Given that the back and top are forced, and that the front will have a limited airway, what about using the diagram's suggestion, _except_ having air come in the left side, rather than go out? In other words, does the blocked front panel "balance" changing the #fans-in/#fans-out from 4/4 to 5/3?

4. Naive, but I can't resist... What about abandoning the "directed air currents" approach and configuring all 8 fans to send the air out. Would this create an internal "low pressure area", deter the internal (hot) air from escaping, and thus cause the fans to be "working against each other"?

Thanks very much for any help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
8 fans on full speed!? Plus CPU cooler, PSU, and gfx card fans... Seriously? Why? Because the fan openings are there? Hope you have ear plugs.
3 pin fans work on 4 pin headers just the way they are, no adapters needed.
You can buy one of these to put two fans on a single header: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189063
Don't attempt to use more than 2 fans per header. Most headers are limited to 1 amp and are safe with a max of two fans (have to take in consideration locked rotor (starting) current).
Proper airflow in a case is front, bottom, side: intake. Bottom, top, rear: exhaust.

zug134zwang

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
thanks very much, clutchc - very informative. Years ago, my last pc overheated on normal usage because I went years without dusting inside, so I'm paranoid. Also, I'm hard of hearing, so fan noise trivial. Also, I want to use computer 24-7, shutting down once a week, and still avoid water cooling, so 8 fans seems the way to go.

disappointed at forcing only 2 fans per connector, but mobo has sysfan 1,2, and 3, so I will just make it
(re the 2 pre-installed case fans connected directly to the psu).

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you really insist on using that many fans and end up running out of headers, consider a fan controller instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007585&IsNodeId=1&Description=fan%20controllers&name=Controller%20Panels&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1
Or, since you don't seem to mind them all running at full RPM, use one or more Molex to multiple 3 pin and connecting them directly to the PSU. http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-4-Pin-Molex-Connector-Connection/dp/B004CLDSRU