Will the free upgrade to Win 10 disable my Win 7 key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defreshed

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
I just got a notification that I can reserve a free copy of Win 10 and I'm interested in trying it but I'm worried that in the event I'm not liking it and want to go back that my windows 7 key will only get me Win 10 since it's an "upgrade"

Does anyone know if a new key will be supplied or will it convert mine to be a Win 10 one permanently?

I thought that maybe I could use a second hard drive to test it but if the key converts then wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Solution
Almost certainly, yes. You do not get to use both your old Win 7, and a new Win 10 license.

Wait until after it is actually released in a couple of months. Then make the decision.
More info will be out between now and then.

You're not 'reserving' anything special. That notification is just to drum up hype prior to the actual release.

USAFRet

Titan
Almost certainly, yes. You do not get to use both your old Win 7, and a new Win 10 license.

Wait until after it is actually released in a couple of months. Then make the decision.
More info will be out between now and then.

You're not 'reserving' anything special. That notification is just to drum up hype prior to the actual release.

Solution
If it a purchesed version of windows and you put in the key I can see them turning it into a W10 key, but i wounder about us OEM users like with Dell, you install using a Dell OEM disk and you DON"T have to put in your key because it is activated though the BIOS. So just wondering what happens there because the Keys that come on the PC (at least with Dell and HP) are NOT actually activated with that PC! So if that is your case i say don't worry, but if it is a custom built PC then yea i would install it as a clean slate, then if you like it either see if it takes your W7 key or go back to W7 and upgrade

spig0t

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

I've been wondering that myself...Microsoft seems way too pushy about this offer and there is not enough information on the subject. If this is some ploy to get people to upgrade and then make it so you can't go back using Windows 7 with a clean installation/activation then I'll have nothing to do with it.

I've been trying get an answers from Microsoft in the following thread if you guys wanna like to keep track.
So far the answers and solutions are the same as in every other similar post, obscure but worded in a way just enough to consider the possibility.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-my-windows-7-oem-license-be-invalidated-after/ff88ba46-cd1f-429a-8be2-6501959ac88d?rtAction=1433292584106

The thought of having this nagware in every eligible installation offering this so called "Free" upgrade without further elaborating what it means for the previous license is beyond belief.

If you look at every thread about upgrade reservation on answers microsoft as I have, you'll see that whenever someone pops the question can I go back to Windows 7? The answer is "Yes" but the only avenue mentioned is downgrading through a rollback of the Windows 10 update to the Windows 7 installation from which it was upgraded.

To make matters worse, whenever someone asks about what happens to the license we have the same copy and paste answer containing "If you upgrade from a Retail/OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it."
But what does this mean? Will the old license no longer be valid for activation though a regular reinstall/activation of Windows 7 using the install media?

I get the feeling some people are taking these vague answer and signing up for the upgrade without giving it much of a thought

Another question on top of all of this, is what if I want to do a clean install? Do we have to upgrade first and then list it "Take Over" our product key and then go back and do a clean install? Or can we just do a clean install and toss in your W7 key?

Status
Not open for further replies.