Best bang for my buck? Some help? (SSD's and Additional HDD sizes)

So, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between my two options.
Before I give them, here are the facts:
- 1TB HDD (User files/partition), 120GB SSD (Windows), 240GB SSD (Games)
- I need a separate 2.5", speedy drive for Linux (I'm a compsci student) though if there's a way to have my system boot Windows QUICKLY (aka, not render the SSD moot) with that combined bootloader, that's an option too.
- My games, in their entirely, are 470GB. I only use less than half of those regularly.

Now that you have the facts:
I'm deciding on what size SSD to buy. My two current plans of attack (though advise if you have a better idea) are either:
1. Buy another 120GB and use it for compsci. Keep the others as is.
2. Buy a 480GB, and shift everything up. (120GB for Compsci, then 240GB for Windows, 480GB for games)

Naturally, I would use partitions for slower content on my 1TB HDD (program files hdd, games hdd, user files).

Any suggestions of which direction is the most pragmatic?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
You have the basic structure right: a big mechanical disk for your files and a smaller SSD for your most-accessed files (Windows, games). You are looking for the best solution. I'd keep the big 1 TB disk as a storage device for files you don't use much, and keep the faster drive(s) for the most-accessed files (Windows, your Linux, games). I say you add another 120 GB SSD or you could do a dual-boot from a single large SSD (like 500 GB) that has Windows and Linux on it, keep the 1 TB disk for games. Games don't need an SSD to run quickly. They are more dependent on the other systems (PCI express and memory subsystems). That's my suggestion.