Do I Need a Graphics Card?

futbar

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I am building a system on pc part picker and have chosen an Intel core i7 4790K processor with intel HD4600 Graphics on board.

My question is do i need a dedicated graphics card? I only play the odd flash game and will mainly use the PC for video editing/conversion plus photoshop and internet.

My main components are: i7 4790k - Asus Z97A mobo - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (is this enough?)

Thanks in advance.

MystoPigz

Reputable
May 14, 2015
You will definitely need a graphics card if you are video editing and photoshopping. Try the MSI R9 270X Hawk. As for the ram, change it to DDR3-1600 ram, like the G.Skill Ares 16GB dual channel ram kit. You will need 16GB for video editing.

Epic Sasa

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
video card is not too needed the cpu's integrated graphics is enough. but some advanced video editing programs do take advantage of AMD OPENCL and NVIDIA CUDA which is why that is important it will give you some boost in speed in rendering videos. 16 gb is best for the work you are doing. You do not need a graphics card for flash games since they are all cpu based. Think of upgrading to a dedicated graphics card later. When you do, you can look at nvidia if you have a lower wattage power supply. If it is higher AMD can be chosen as well.

You definitely need a video card! My three year old laptop, has HD4000 integrated graphics and I now notice that 1080p 60 FPS YouTube videos push my dual core i7 to 80% usage. 1440p 30 FPS YouTube videos also push my CPU to 80% usage and 4k 30 FPS videos completely saturate my CPU and the video is unplayable. Now I realize that my laptop's core i7 3520m processor is no comparison to your proposed i7 4790K, BUT there is no way that you'll be able to do proper video editing in a productive time frame on a HD4600. My point is that my HD4000 can't even play high definition videos, let along render them. I so strongly believe in my argument, that I initially thought your post was a joke; no offense. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you're considering forgoing the video card? Is your build budget tight?

kwa-e

Admirable
A 750ti is a good card if you're using apps revolve mainly on CUDA, If OpenCL is your what your programs are optimized for the R9 270 is a great choice.

Both cards come in at the $150, and usually hit $120-140 after a rebate.