A88X Gamer - Will I NEED a BIOS update??

DannStarr

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I will know the answer to my own question in just a few days, but, I'd like to be prepared if possible....

I have just purchased some new gear for an updated build, namely an Asus A88X gamer MB, and the just released AMD A10-7870K.

I was doing some reading and came across this on the Toms Hardware site: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asus-amd-kaveri-refresh,news-50358.html

The article suggests that the MB will require a BIOS update to support the APU.

So, that would be fine if I already had the motherboard up and running with an older processor, however, seeing as this will all be going together for the first time, am I going to need to get hold of an older processor to plug in to it, in order for me to perform the BIOS update, before this new processor will be of any use??

Thanks in advance

yeskay

Distinguished

Yes, a BIOS update may be required for your motherboard to even recognize and support the Kaveri CPUs. And like you said it would be better if you hold on to that old processor, so that you can install that old processor on this new board, update the BIOS and then replace that old one with your latest Kaveri processor. Cheers!

DannStarr

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I don't have the "old processor" that would go on this board.... I'm upgrading from an Asus M3A32 MVP with an AMD Phenom which was an AM2 unit

yeskay

Distinguished

In that case, you can request your dealer to update the BIOS before shipping to you. The dealer may do it free of cost or may charge a price. Or you can approach a PC technician who may have older processors that fit on this board, will update the BIOS again for some price. Talk to them to find out.

DannStarr

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks..... I have now decided to pay a little bit extra and get the Crossfire Ranger instead, which will allow the BIOS update :)